First Weekend of the 2008 Season Report

1937hd45

Well the first weekend of the hobby did not get off to a great start. Saturday I drove down to Oley, Pa. for the AMCA motorcycle meet, always worth the trip just to see the buildings and trees in bloom on Main Street. Looked like a lot of people left early or skipped the meet, spent money on gas & food, didn't see one part I wanted to by. Saw a great '37 Harley like mine out of New Jersey, so that will help with restoration details. The Gateway AACA meet today is allways a slow starter, but the overcast skys and dusting of rain sent me home. We spent a good hour, vendors any future buyers kicking ourselves for showing up rather that sitting at the keyboard on eBay. Hope Rhinebeck, N. Y. and the CSRA swap in Bristol, Ct. on Sunday are better.

I attended my second show of the year in Williamsburg, Virginia this weekend. Beautiful weather all weekend. I met a bunch of old friends again, although we reminisced about those that have passed on as our hobby gets older. One fellow spoke of first seeing my old car, years ago, show up at the hotel/show with three kids and the wife holding the '35 Ford firmly to the ground. So long ago, this time it was just me, as the girls have gone off on their own and Mike was "girling" with a friend at a college in Blackstone Virginia. That's probably as close as he'll ever get to college, although he did enjoy the "scenery". whistle.gifsmile.gif

Back to our show! We had a tour of old town Williamsburg Friday evening on the way to a free ice cream stop. Our leader only got lost once. Really cool to see about 20 old cars making u-turns on a four-lane highway and waving at each other. Fingers were pointed at all involved, but no one took the blame for the fun. grin.gif We had a poker run on the Colonial Parkway on Saturday, about a 20 mile trip. A ace high flush won the $100.00 pot.

I told Gloria on Friday that it might be my last trip down there, but gosh, it was fun seeing all of those guys again. Oh, longest distance driven was a couple from Cleveland Oh. All right!!! wink.gif

Wayne