Dodge rear wheel bolts (boss bolts) found

Jan Arnett

One of the items which are not reproduced for the Early Dodge are the Boss Bolts which hold the drums on. Most of the originals are ruined when they are removed. The heads on the bolts are much larger then a normal carriage bolt and they have fluted shafts. I was ready to turn up some new bolts until I found a source for step bolts. Step bolts have a much larger head then standard carriage bolts and are relatively flat. The source I found is fastenal. Because they had the hardness mark on top I chuck them in a drill and with the drill on I use a small file to eliminate the raised numbers. I then grind the tanngs off the underside of the head so they will not split the spoke. If you want to make the head smaller you can use the file to grind down the head while the bolt is chucked in the drill. When you install use lock tite to lock the nuts. I will attach pictures as soon as I ge my camera back.

Have a nice day.

Guest imouttahere

Jan, that is really great. Yes, I have a full set of ruined original wheel bolts from when I restored my wheels. I couldn't find the correct bolt at the time, so I would like to replace the ones I used at that time. Could you please mention the Fastenal part number? And what the heck is the length and threading of those bolts; I forget?

I will get you a part number. The bolts are 7/16 which are hard to get, make sure you get nuts at the same time. I believe I order 2 1/2 inches but will check. Here is a pictue of the finished product if I can figure out how to do it. Were are the instructions on posting an attachment?

Guest imouttahere

Jan, you need to upload the picture to an FTP site and then you put the picture in the message by clicking on the "add picture" icon and entering the picture's URL on the web.

Jan, you don't have to use an ftp site. Just click on "switch to full reply screen" button, then "file manager", then "browse", select the file you want to transfer, then "open", then "add file" button, then "done adding files", then "submit". Sounds like alot but not really.

post-32905-143137980131_thumb.jpg