Cast aluminum 84 Electra station wagon rims

JohnD1956

Well, here's another prize I've held onto for all these years. This is a set of 4 rims, with the tin hubcaps and twenty of the designated lugnuts. See the pictures below. I was going to use them on my 56 but just discovered the rim hole is not big enough to get over the hub.

Asking $80.00 plus shipping. The rims are located in Glenville NY. Write to jld1972@verizon.net or call

518 384 7807

post-32834-143137978998_thumb.jpg

post-32834-143137979001_thumb.jpg

post-32834-143137979003_thumb.jpg

post-32834-143137979005_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Aluminum polish will get some of that off, but it depends if the clear coat is damaged.

These wheels are getting rare, many have passed unnoticed through salvage yards and are gone forever. $80 plus shipping is a bargain. Especially with caps.

Before going any further let me clarify something. Two of the wheels look like they are new, but they all came from the same car. All the rims used to look like the ones with the wheel weight damaged area originally. Here's the situation.

I was seeking a way to get the clear coat off without impacting the grey painted areas. So, I used a wire wheel to clean the polished surface on the two clean wheels. This wiped out the milled finish which the remaining two rims have. This is what I tried to show in the picture with the one rim. It does not impact the strength of the rim and the last two can be done the same way as this to make a matched set but there are several other ways to refinish these rims. Two are as follows:

There are some wheel restorers who can strip these rims, polish and re clear coat. That leaves something to be done with the two unmilled rims. Or

All the rims can be stripped and lightly sanded to make a smooth finish.

In either case, the clear coat must come off to address those wheel weight areas. If you want closer pictures of the areas let me know.

I'm sure these would fit from 67 with drum brakes through 1990. My 69 Electra has the disc brakes. But I was reminded that I had these rims test fitted once before and they did fit onto my Electra but scraped the four piston caliper as the rim was rotated. I don't know why I could not get it on the hub now except maybe I need to polish the hub to get some of the debris and rust off.

None the less, I already have a set of the rallye wheels for the Electra (if I ever get it painted), so I don't need these anymore. They are nice rims.

• 7 years later...
Guest deekster_caddy

Sorry to revive such an old post - John, did you ever sell these wheels? Email address listed up top no longer works.

Thanks!
-Derek