Breakerless Ignition

Anyone have any experience good or bad with a conversion to breakerless ignition? This for a stock 1968 350, not looking for a performance mod, just convenience/reliability on a car we drive frequently in summertime.

Thanks

Guest simplyconnected

Personal preference. For the purest, you have to use stock points. They work well. For the upgrader, electronics is the only way to go.

What do you want to accomplish by changing? Maintenance free? Hotter spark? More consistancy? It's all in electronics. Notice, car manufacturers don't offer points any more? They changed and never looked back, just like they did with 6-volt vs. 12-volt.

Your 350 is very standard and many companies make good systems for it. I would start at:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294925143+4294908158+4294925083+4294840140+4294839065+115&Nao=0#rstop

They have many models based on your budget.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. While the car is stock, I don't mind an improvement here and there as it is a driver. The unit that fits in the distributor is what I had in mind. Easier maintenance and a slight improvement in running would be it. This era is pretty dependable though, for the most part as they sit.

Thanks

Guest simplyconnected

I'm a little confused. That's not unusual because I can be pretty dense at times. But, you just told me it's a driver (I'm thinking 'daily driver') and then you said it sits most of the time.

If it's really a driver, or you are trying to remedy high RPM point-bounce, I would seriously consider an electronic upgrade. (I pointed you to Summit, just to show what's available. Once you decide, shop for prices.)

If it just sits most of the time I would keep it stock, even if it came with points because they work ok for many years between settings. (In a pinch, I use a matchbook cover for a feeler gauge. It's about .015" thick.)

Thanks Dave - not a daily driver, but driven most weekends in the summer. By driver I just meant not top show quality. For example, I have NAPA radiator hoses on it, good enough for our needs. Not showing at any high levels. May just take your advice though, and leave it be. Changing/adjusting needs are not that frequent, really. My one complaint with most GM engines is usually the distributor placement! Cutlass is just like my '69 Chevelle was - hood does not go up that high and maybe I am getting older but the dist. seems tucked even further out of the way than on the SBC motors..

Guest simplyconnected

I've heard lots of good and NO bad out of Pertronics. I agree with Bhigdog in that, I would never go back, either.

It's funny... and it depends on who you talk with... some guys HATE electronics (mostly because it's over their head), and others swear by them.

Personally, I can't go back to carburetors, either. Modern engines are SO much better regardless of the operating envrionment. I remember those few days when it was a 'treat' when my engine ran 'sweet.' Now, it runs that way every day. Flooding, chokes, mechanical fans, and vapor lock are things of the past. Soon, electric water pumps will rule. It just keeps getting better.

Guest pfloro

Hello Steve:

I've used the Pertronix unit in my '66 Mustang (289 V8) for over 7 years. It has been flawless. I'm also using a stock ignition coil.

Like others have said, I'd never go back to points. The Mustang is a driver so I'm not concerned about concours correctness.

With the Pertronix, there are two wires exiting the distributor (black & RED). The RED wire connects to the positive side of the coil

and provides power for the electronic module. The black connects to the negative side of the coil and switches the primary coil winding voltage (just like the points did).

With the Pertronix, you can bypass the ballast resistor (or resister wire) and apply a full 12 volts to the ignition system at all times.

Except for that new RED wire: "Only her hairdresser knows for sure..." (!)

Paul

Guest imported_Julian

I have thought about changing my orig 67 442 over to Petronix. but the blue streak points that are in there work just fine.. just have not decided if I want to do that or not. I do have a petronix kit..just never put it in.. my 71 rag top I put an electronic dist. in it years ago.. works flawlessly.. never an issue.. NOW that I have said that, it will probably lay down on me tomorrow lol ..

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Julian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do have a petronix kit..just never put it in.. my 71 rag top I put an electronic dist. in it years ago.. works flawlessly.. </div></div>Do you need help with this 'decision?' You certainly purchased with an intent, based on history.

How would you feel about selling your Pertronix kit? If you aren't going to use it, sell it to Steve_Mack_CT. He can use it (if yours will fit).