climate control help

Guest drtoddh

Guest drtoddh

Once again, I need the wisdom of this forum. Most of the info I could find relates to later model Reattas. I have an 89 Reatta. The climate control just stopped working suddenly. The CRT looks fine. I can press anything on the climate control part of the CRT and it looks like it should work. The temp goes up and down to its max and min, but nothing happens. I can't get any fan speed at all. Even when I turn the fan manually to high. There is a fainr "click" heard when I switch from various modes ie "econ" to "auto" or "high." This click sounds like it is in side the dash on the passenger side behind the glove compartment. Any ideas? Thanks, Todd

Guest drtoddh

Once again, I need the wisdom of this forum. Most of the info I could find relates to later model Reattas. I have an 89 Reatta. The climate control just stopped working suddenly. The CRT looks fine. I can press anything on the climate control part of the CRT and it looks like it should work. The temp goes up and down to its max and min, but nothing happens. I can't get any fan speed at all. Even when I turn the fan manually to high. There is a fainr "click" heard when I switch from various modes ie "econ" to "auto" or "high." This click sounds like it is in side the dash on the passenger side behind the glove compartment. Any ideas? Thanks, Todd

Guest Drake

Hello, I had the same problem several months ago. Turned out to be the fan control module. It is located on the firewall behind & above the power steering pump. There are two electrical connections & three mounting screws. Not too bad to change. It's still available through Gm, but pretty pricey. Possibly Jim Finn would have one to sell.

Guest Drake

Hello, I had the same problem several months ago. Turned out to be the fan control module. It is located on the firewall behind & above the power steering pump. There are two electrical connections & three mounting screws. Not too bad to change. It's still available through Gm, but pretty pricey. Possibly Jim Finn would have one to sell.

You may need to drive the car at highway speeds to analyse the problem....you will get enought air movement at speed to tell if the control is moving the air to windshield, vents, or floor when you touch the buttons.

You should also be able to switch from cold to hot and feel the difference.

If none of the above works, then your A/C controller may be bad or you could also have a vacumn leak.

Removing the glove box and observing the movement of the rod when you move from cold to hot is a clue if the controller has a problem.

You may need to drive the car at highway speeds to analyse the problem....you will get enought air movement at speed to tell if the control is moving the air to windshield, vents, or floor when you touch the buttons.

You should also be able to switch from cold to hot and feel the difference.

If none of the above works, then your A/C controller may be bad or you could also have a vacumn leak.

Removing the glove box and observing the movement of the rod when you move from cold to hot is a clue if the controller has a problem.

Guest Drake

Todd, another question. When you turn on any of the controls, does the little fan icon on the screen start to rotate? Mine didn't move because it wasn't getting power from the control module. If it is turning, check power to the fan motor (center of firewall under the three access.relays). Possible the fan went kapuut.

Guest Drake

Todd, another question. When you turn on any of the controls, does the little fan icon on the screen start to rotate? Mine didn't move because it wasn't getting power from the control module. If it is turning, check power to the fan motor (center of firewall under the three access.relays). Possible the fan went kapuut.

Guest drtoddh

Thanks everyone, i will have to do a little investigating. The fan icon on the CRT does turn and adjust with the manual set that I have input into the CRT. I just hear the faint click behind the glove box and that's all

Guest drtoddh

Thanks everyone, i will have to do a little investigating. The fan icon on the CRT does turn and adjust with the manual set that I have input into the CRT. I just hear the faint click behind the glove box and that's all

Guest drtoddh

UPDATE:

Well, last evening nothing on the climate system worked. The fan icon moved up and down on the CRT with hi and low settings. Then when I went and touched the blower module the defrost roared to life. It was then stuck on defrost. I could turn the climate control off but that's all. So I took out the blower module and cleaned all the contacts. Put back in and again, "nothing." No voltage getting to the fan either.

Today I took the car out to try to differentiate the blower module from the AC controller as the problem per Barney's post above. Well, everything now worked perfectly. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to not work correctly. Heat and cool worked right, fan on auto, hi, low, bilev, etc. all did as it should.

Does this help narrow it down and should I just forget about it until it stops again?? Thanks, Todd