Help Question: What is a 425 Buick Nailhead engine worth...

Rolling Sculpture

Guest Gee_Rydes

It is the rebuilding that costs the money with these engines.

Non-frozen cores that are "rebuildable" can be found for as little as $500... sometimes even less.

Now if it was already "rebuilt", that would be a huge difference.

I recently found a '66 425 complete: carb, alternator, p/s pump, a/c compressor, etc. (all that was missing was the air breather for $150.00. As Dave mentioned, a couple of thou+ later, and it's been completely rebuilt. The aftermarket finned aluminum valve covers, spark plug covers, valley cover, and other asthetic goodies cost way more than a rebuildable engine. They're out there, you just have to keep looking. There's was a running '64 Riv in the K.C. KS on Craigs list complete for $1,000; it needed floorboards. By the time I got around to calling it was gone, the buyer drove it home. There was a '62 401 that would turn over down in Wellsville, KS for $100 the other day. I've seen it listed quite often but no one seems to want it. I guess there's, not too much demand for a nailhead that bolts to a dynaflow. But, on the other hand, last fall I traded a bare 425 block, a set of pistons w/rods, a crank, and two heads to a guy for a Frankland Quick change rear end.

It really boils down to how badly someone wants one at the time you have one for sale.

Ed

Lots of variables on this one. It all depends on availability in your area, how long you can wait, and how tight a budget you are on.

I personally wouldn't pay more than $150 for a rebuildable core within uncertain history which is in line with what Ed mentioned.

Your amount of patience when looking for something like this is directly proportional to how much you can save. Delivery costs can be more than the engine if you can't locate one close to home.

Another option depending on your capability is sometimes you can buy a complete junk car with engine, Take what you need, sell some parts, then take it to the scrap yard and get $10 per hundred pounds and you can come out ahead or at least even. That will net between 400 and $500 scrap price for these old Rivs.

Be sure to use some scrutiny and judgement so you don't buy something that has a cracked head or block. Now, I would be willing to pay up to $400 for for an engine I could hear run. There is good value placed on knowing up front you won't run into a mess when the engine is torn down.

• 11 years later...

I have a 1966 425 buick nailhead I had the motor in the shop put in a street rod cam recommended by centerville auto new high compression piston all new top end B&M shift kit automatic  my question is should i runn the switch pitch torque converter super th 400 ? Or should I change the converter.?