charging 8 volt battery

I use an 8 volt battery with my small bulldozer. I need to recharge the battery but only have a charger with settings for either 6 or 12 volts. Would using the 6 volt setting be the best choice, or do I need an 8 volt charger?

When the battery is installed in the dozer, the positive terminal is grounded. Would this change the way I connect the charging leads? I feel I should still connect the negative lead of the battery charger to the negative post. Correct? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chrysler28

You still charge the battery neg..to..neg pos..to pos regardless of how its grounded to the car. as far as charging an 8volt battery.. not sure. but i would think it would be best to charge at the 6 volt rate, as if u used the 12volt it would be the same a overcharging a battery..just my opinion. antiquepaw

Depending how discharged it was, I would put it on 6 volts overnight or until it charged up to 7 volts. Then put it on 12 for a short time like 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it when on 12 to be sure it does not boil over or get hot.

How powerful is the charger? I'm thinking a little 6 to 10 amp box charger. If it's a big charger leave it on the lowest setting.

I have used the Battery Tender chargers for my Antique vehicles, my tow vehicle and car trailer for the last Eight years.

These units are top-notch and simply do the job very well. Other units may be cheaper but I do not believe that those units

have the computer circuitry that the Battery Tender does.

That is the difference between an intelligent battery charger (ie Battery Tender) and some of the cheaper trickle chargers that

lack intelligence when it comes to charging.

FYI, the prices for Battery Tenders to vary. It pays to shop around for them.

BTW, I am just a satisfied Battery Tender Customer.