Early LCOC Bulletin #2 - March, 1953

I have recently acquired a large collection of early LCOC bulletins written by Dr. Elliston Bell, founder of LCOC.

I have made PDFs out of the first 20 bulletins - including the special one covering the initial LCOC meet at Dearborn in October, 1954. If anyone is interested in these fascinating historical documents, I can copy them to a CD and mail them to you. I'll need a little help with postage and materials - whatever you think is fair.

After putting a pencil to it, the cost of materials: i.e. blank discs, containers, envelopes, postage and trips to the PO (@ $3+ per gallon) begin to add up. Not to mention the time involved in scanning each page, enhancing them with Adobe PhotoShop, constructing the Microsoft Publisher documents, then converting them to PDFs etc. So $20 each doesn’t seem to be out of line. I’m certainly not planning to get rich on this project and I enjoy sharing the interesting historical information.

Hey Jeff,

I will send Harry's CD out tomorrow (02/06). I have your CD ready but I need a confirmation of your mailing address. Is the listing in the LZOC diectory still current?

I know I didn't specify an amount for these bulletins. However, after putting a pencil to it, I think that the information contained in the early newsletters is a steal at $20.00 for a CD containing bulletins 1 through 20, including the special issue for the first meet in Dearborn in 1954. The CD contains the bulletins in both Adobe PDF format and Microsoft Publisher format.

If that’s OK with you, you can do PayPal to kcd@texas.net or put a check in the mail to my current address in the LZOC directory.

Don't forget - I’ll need your mailing address.

It has just occurred to me that there is space enough on a CD to include ALL of the .jpg files of these LCOC bulletins. JPG files are a bit harder to view (you can view only one page at a time and they’re a little tricky to print) but if you have a problem with the Adobe PDF or Microsoft Publisher formats I can send you a CD with all 71 .jpg images on it.

The 'Bulletin' became 'Continental Comments' in issue #13, May, 1954.

post-32768-143137971859_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Harry Connors

For those of you who have not received or did not order these early newsletters let me tell you that they are worth it. I received my CD from Phil earlier this week and I have read all of the newsletters several times. There are lots of good tips and it is interesting to see that many of the problems they had back then we still have today. Harry

YES THEY ARE GREAT...PHIL WAS VERY GRACIOUS TO SCAN AND COPY THESE....

THESE ARE FROM A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE BECAUSE I DARE SAY

FOLKS WERE MORE ABOUT DRIVING THEM IN THE OLD DAYS....REAL

PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS TO DAILY DRIVING PROBLEMS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Phil - I received mine . It's interesting to see the

prices in '53 - Also that David Cole appears in a few issues - way back in 1953!!

Are those the new Coker radials on your '41 ??

I just started driving on mine - The cokers are great in that they retain the same profile as the bias ply - it

doesn't look like a street rod. Even the spare will fit

under the cover on the back!!

Dave Cole tells me that he would have joined the LCOC earlier, but at that time membership was restriced to owners of Lincoln Continentals ONLY!

The tires on my car were installed by the previous owner. They are Sears 15 inch radials. The whitewalls are not wide enough and the tires are too small for the car without overdrive. BUT they have good tread and I can't justify replacing them at this time. Someday I may look into Coker or Diamondback radials of the proper size.

Please post a photo of your Coker radials. I'd like to see what they look like.