Installing radiator shell on a 32

tbirdman

I've been struggling trying to install the radiator shell. I have installed the radiator shutter assembly onto the radiator, and now I'm trying to install the radiator shell over that assembly. The radiator on one side won't line up with the holes...it seems like the shell won't sit on the shutter/radiator assembly deep enough to allow the screw holes to line up. They are missing by about an 1/8".

Is there some stupid and obvious I'm overlooking? I had the radiator flushed and the shutters chromed but no modifications of either or the shell. Do these usually go back together fairly easy. The only thing really that was taking apart was the shutter assembly.

The positive news is while working on it, I dropped a screw. While looking for the screw I found the contact piece I was missing for the spare coil swittch I had. Not sure how it got to wgere I found it. I can now complete my sales transaction with Tom. smile.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

The shell mounting tabs on top of radiator (attached to radiator) may have gotten Bent. On the '29s there's a large tab on each side that bends fairly easy and is the up/down position adjustment.

Damn, sure is great to get a screw sometimes! grin.gif

I had the same problem with my 30. I did not have any tabs on the top of the radiator that I remember. I ended up using clamps to force the shell to align with the holes (gently, but with increasing force). I have included a photo of the top of my radiator as it meets the shell. Is yours like this?

Tom

Edited to get photo to display

post-54016-143137970865_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

I just remembered that I have a picture of one of the tabs, I was talking about. The tab is barely visible protruding from under shell rear edge, in center of picture, where the upper mounting screw goes thru:

post-33516-143137970862_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, the '30 appears to have a much Larger mounting bracket there, than the '29s bendable tab.

Guest imported_Speedster

I'm really glad the '29s radiator has the bendable tabs, cause I had to bend them down a lot, since he made the radiator a little too tall (about 3/16"), when the Recore was done.

So, if anyone gets their radiator Recored, make sure they control the overall height accurately. Modern radiators don't need to be that accurate in height, so some Recore shops don't realize that.

I also had to reduce the thickness of the shock-absorber-pads below the radiator (at 2 lower radiator mounting bolts), so shell would mate up to front splash-shields properly and front edge of hood would be square with shell.

Guest imported_Speedster

Okay, it's front to back, correct? Is the shell not going far enough back on the radiator? If so, can you tell where the shell is hitting the shutter/radiator first. Are there mounting bolts that need to removed from radiator, at top or bottom, that are keeping the shutter-assembly from sitting flush against the front of radiator?

Thnaks for all the suggestions. OK, with a little persuasion, the bolts went in. As I got more in they pulled the shell in to better alligment with the holes. I thought it would had lined up better, but I guess with the replating etc, tolerances were off. Can't figure out how I ended up with extra washer and not enough nuts. crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34PackardRoadsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you check in the coil? smile.gif </div></div>

Well it was 1 AM this morning when I finally had most of the screws in so I decided to wait until I had a good night sleep to look for them. I did have a good night sleep as I finally declared victory over the radiator shell. smile.gif Previously I had been defeated twice.