Trying again, help

cooter9

$25K does seem like an reasonable price. However please notice that the seller has no ebay history.

If you are serious about buying a Packard, I would join one of the National Packard clubs. Packard club members are very helpful for helping others look at a car that is for sale. It's hard to tell with pictures. When I was looking, I contacted a member in North Ca. We drove to the buyer's place together. He provide valuable advice. I should had bought his car but I don't think it was for sale. It was a 33 V12 Coupe Roadster.

I would never by a car from Ebay sight unseen unless the price was very low. However from the pictures this car at first glance looks ok.

Guest imported_Speedster

It appears to be in good condition and I'd think it would be worth that much and More, as long as the drive-train is in good condition, which he says it Is. I like the rear mounted spare-tire (makes a good bumper if you back into anything). laugh.gif

Cooter,

Good luck it looks like a very nice car. As the guys have mentioned earlier it is very hard to tell what is what from an online ad, if there is anyway possible I would suggest traveling to see and drive the car yourself, as well as possibly taking a local member or mechanic with you. I will tell you upfront that I am biased as I own almost the exact same car (I was half tempted for a moment to try talking my wife into a his and hers but then reality pulled me back) but if the car "is" in as nice a condition as it appears (both mechanically and aesthetically) then I would estimate the FMV to be around 38,000-40,000 but again I am biased. Good Luck! It would be nice to get another member on the board to trade information and stories back and forth with. John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjohnb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cooter,

Good luck it looks like a very nice car. As the guys have mentioned earlier it is very hard to tell what is what from an online ad, if there is anyway possible I would suggest traveling to see and drive the car yourself, as well as possibly taking a local member or mechanic with you. I will tell you upfront that I am biased as I own almost the exact same car (I was half tempted for a moment to try talking my wife into a his and hers but then reality pulled me back) but if the car "is" in as nice a condition as it appears (both mechanically and aesthetically) then I would estimate the FMV to be around 38,000-40,000 but again I am biased. Good Luck! It would be nice to get another member on the board to trade information and stories back and forth with. John

</div></div>

I've talked with the guy and yes I will need to see it first but I feel good about what he has told me. $38K-$40K? That is higher than I was thinking, do you guys think if it runs to the end it will bring that much?

I don't think that it will bring that much on Ebay. It seems that (at least for Packards) they usually don't approach FMV on Ebay so you may be able to get it for less providing the seller does not have a high reserve around that amount. Again this is just my opinion but I found the Gold Book values to be unrealistically low and even the NADA values seem a little low but are more realistic. The NADA values for that car are:

1930 Packard 7-26 4 Door Sedan

Original MSRP: $2,375

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail

Base Price $19,900 $34,500 $55,700

It is a senior packard versus a junior (although not as many people care or are aware of the destiction anymore).

Depending on how eager the seller is you may be able to agree on a good price as he is trying to sell two cars.

What does everyone think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjohnb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think that it will bring that much on Ebay. It seems that (at least for Packards) they usually don't approach FMV on Ebay so you may be able to get it for less providing the seller does not have a high reserve around that amount. Again this is just my opinion but I found the Gold Book values to be unrealistically low and even the NADA values seem a little low but are more realistic. The NADA values for that car are:

1930 Packard 7-26 4 Door Sedan

Original MSRP: $2,375

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail

Base Price $19,900 $34,500 $55,700

It is a senior packard versus a junior (although not as many people care or are aware of the destiction anymore).

Depending on how eager the seller is you may be able to agree on a good price as he is trying to sell two cars.

What does everyone think? </div></div>

John you have a PM

Cooter,

I just sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't receive it as I am PM challenged. I would encourage you to consider the advice from all the guys on this board as they are all regular posters, more knowledgeable than me and always seem very sincere. I believe Speedster has a very similar car also so he may have some strong feelings as to the value and what to look for as well. John

Guest imported_Speedster

No, I don't have much experience pricing completed cars, other than I know the prices have almost doubled in the last few years. My experience is with finding Junkers and Basket-cases and Restoring them.

But I do like that car, and It should be worth at least $30.K and probably a lot more.

Cooter9,

First off good luck hope it works out for you. It be nice to have another PreWar person on here. smile.gif

You can always save your pennies and buy the one that is in the for sale area here smile.gif

Cooter if you really like the car I would suggest you don't give up but do your research. The car may not bring a fair price on Ebay and since the owner is looking to sell two cars he may be willing to offer it to you at a lower price.

Kind of silly question here:

I've only driven a 39 Packard as far as pre-war Packards go. On this 1930 I assume it's a 4 speed and obviously the gear shift is in the floor. What is the pattern for 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th gear? Forgot reverse also? Is there any big differences in the way this car is started? Simple stuff for most but I would want to be sure before I go a grinding.

Guest imported_Speedster

A 3-speed floorshift tranny (reverse is left/forward) and starter button is in middle of toeboard (push with foot), next to gas pedal, ignition switch in dash.

Throttle lever and light-switch are on steering-wheel, each side of horn-button.

Distributor-timing and carburetor-choke are adjusted by pull rods in center of dash.

Timing, Choke and Throttle all need to adjusted to proper position Before starting the engine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A 3 speed tranny and starter button is in middle of toeboard (push with foot), next to gas pedal, ignition switch in dash.

Throttle lever and light-switch are on steering-wheel, each side of horn-button.

Distributor-timing and carburetor-choke are adjusted by pull rods in center of dash.

Timing, Choke and Throttle all need to adjusted to proper position Before starting the engine. </div></div>

Wow! that sounds like an old plane getting ready to start. I didn't realize that much difference from a 30 to a 39. How do you know where to set the timing, choke and throttle before start? Is it just a guess and hope your right?

Guest imported_Speedster

If you're not experienced with the car, it's just 'Trial and Error' until you determine 'What your car Prefers'. Not all of them require the same settings. Example: one of my '29s likes the Choke to be open More than the other one does when Cold (different settings when Hot).

And the timing-adjust (Spark) is a 'Whole Nuther Story'. grin.gif

Speedster,

Actually, the 30 is a 4 speed forward tranny. There is a low low that many folks don't even realize is there. I would not have, if I did not have the original manual! It is all the way (hard) to the left and down. It was new in the 7th series and died I believe in the 10th series.

Cooter,

There are two <span style="font-weight: bold">unlabeled</span> knobs to adjust on the dash before you start the car, next to each other. They are the two orange knobs above and on either side of the ammeter in the attached photo (from a 733). My procedure for starting cold is 1) pull the choke (right knob, unlabeled) all the way out, 2) pull spark retarder (left, unmarked) out 1/4 of the way or not at all, 3) turn on ignition switch (key switch to the left), push in clutch, and hit starter button (on floor to right of accelerator 'rest').

Usually, unless I have been working on the car smile.gif it starts after turning over just once.

I then push in the choke until she runs smooth, continuing to do that while the engine warms until choke is alway the way in. Spark retarder I usually push in immediately upon starting.

Just the way I do things. Not hard, just a few more steps. Others I am sure have variations upon the theme.

Tom

Edited to correct left to right, which I don't always know...

post-54016-143137970856_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

I was just trying to remember about the 4-speed tranny in '30. Was it an Option in '30 or did they change to 4-speed in mid-year? Seems like I remember someone saying that not All '30 models had the 4-speed as the Standard?

Or maybe they were just using up the leftover 3-speeds, from '29?

Guest imported_Speedster

I think they started building the '30 models about November 1 of '29, so maybe the 3-speeds were used up before your's was built.

Or maybe it was only the 726 that had the 3-speed?

Man, I don't know, only goin' by what I've been told. smirk.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is your choke rod also tied to cylinder oiler valve? </div></div>

It is on '29s Also.

My choke is not connected to the assembly anymore since I have a different Carb but I always pull that knob out before starting and push it back in after she had warmed up for a few minutes. Does that sound like good pratice?

Sorry Cooter9 for stealing your post...

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, It helps to have the extra oil on pistons and rings at startup, especially in a Long stroke design like these engines. It also helps oil the lifters & guides on the other side of pistons, since oil is pushed thru a hole in opposite side of cylinder walls, by a slot in pistons.

I contribute that oiler of being the reason my engines did not require a Ring job. Great thing to have in an engine, to bad modern engines don't have something like that, but modern large bore, short stroke engines don't need it as much, since they get more splash oil on cylinder walls.

Guest imported_Speedster

Well Cooter9, the 733 auction Ended Early, also.

He must have desided to Sell it somewhere else or desided he wanted to Keep it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well Cooter9, the 733 auction Ended Early, also.

He must have desided to Sell it somewhere else or desided he wanted to Keep it? </div></div>

Dag-nabit! Someone must have offered a pretty penny for that one. This is still all good info and I need to know stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was just trying to remember about the 4-speed tranny in '30. Was it an Option in '30 or did they change to 4-speed in mid-year? Seems like I remember someone saying that not All '30 models had the 4-speed as the Standard?

Or maybe they were just using up the leftover 3-speeds, from '29? </div></div>

32 was the year they switched from 4 speeds to a 3 speed during the production year. I have a 4 speed in my 32.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooter9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of silly question here:

I've only driven a 39 Packard as far as pre-war Packards go. On this 1930 I assume it's a 4 speed and obviously the gear shift is in the floor. What is the pattern for 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th gear? Forgot reverse also? Is there any big differences in the way this car is started? Simple stuff for most but I would want to be sure before I go a grinding. </div></div>

The pattern for a 4 speed (at least a 32) is an H with R at top left, followed by 2nd, then 3rd is top right follow by 4th. 1st which is a granny gear is all the way to the left and then down.

Guest jjohnb

Cooter,

I haven't had too much time to check in lately, did you happen to hear why the seller ended the auction early on the 1930 726? I'm assuming someone made him an offer outside of Ebay? I am curious about the amount he accepted. The phateon he was selling sold for a little less than I expected also.

The 4-speed crashbox lasted thru 1931, though as correctly noted previously, low was so low that most folks never knew it was there. The very first few 32 cars (except the Light Eight) also carried over the 4 speed, though the new 3-speed synchro was introduced very early in the 9th series, and remained essentially the same thru 1938 and perhaps 1939 for those cars that didn't have the optional column shift. There are references in several of the Packard tomes to a 4-speed synchro also introduced very early in 1932 and dropped almost as soon as it was introduced. I've not checked the parts book for 32 to confirm that, but have run into one or two persons over the years who claimed to have original early 9th series seniors with a 4 speed with synchro on the top three. I remain a bit unconvinced on this, seeing would be believing (or confirmation from the parts book).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 4-speed crashbox lasted thru 1931, though as correctly noted previously, low was so low that most folks never knew it was there. The very first few 32 cars (except the Light Eight) also carried over the 4 speed, though the new 3-speed synchro was introduced very early in the 9th series, and remained essentially the same thru 1938 and perhaps 1939 for those cars that didn't have the optional column shift. There are references in several of the Packard tomes to a 4-speed synchro also introduced very early in 1932 and dropped almost as soon as it was introduced. I've not checked the parts book for 32 to confirm that, but have run into one or two persons over the years who claimed to have original early 9th series seniors with a 4 speed with synchro on the top three. I remain a bit unconvinced on this, seeing would be believing (or confirmation from the parts book). </div></div>

As I understood it from my Packard books, about halfway through the model year, 3 speeds were introduced. My 32 has a 4 speed with synch in 3rd and 4th gear.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understood it from my Packard books, about halfway through the model year, 3 speeds were introduced. My 32 has a 4 speed with synch in 3rd and 4th gear. </div></div>

Were they just trying to reduce production cost? Or was there some other reason for going to the 3-speed? The 4-speed was a reliable tranny, wasn't it?