Wanted - Auto tranny for 90 V6

Chryslerati

Did yours go bad? How? If you find one make sure it has been rebuilt with ALL the upgrades. My son's went out 1.5 years ago and I had the choice you have now. I choose to have Lakeland Chrysler do the job. The tranny was shipped from Deroit with ALL the newest insides and came with a 3year/36000 mile warranty good at any Chrysler dealer. If you put in a used tranny and 2 months from now it dies-you still need a tranny and have put in or paid labor on 2 trannys.Final cost--$1250tranny--$750 labor--$2000 total.It's my 17 year old sons daily driver and needed to be bullet proof. It now shifts better than ANY V-6 T/C ive ever been in and averages 26mpg.I still think it was money well spent.IMHO

I've done much research on that. Seems our trannys are some of the 1st 604s and there have been so many ugrades since then that it's a complete different trans, and because it is completely electronically controlled, the TCM must also be changed.

At 23,000 mi I am reluctant to go imediately to a complete "new" trans, but it seem I may have to Bite The Bullet and do it.

Lou,

I called a local Chrysler dealer and asked to speak to a tech that was supposedly specially trained to work on the TC.

The first persone that I spoke to had no idea what a TC was, he asked someoen and this guy came to the phone that said he knew the cars.

I had spoken to a service tech at the Dodge dealer, who had told me that he thought the tranny was in "Limp Mode" based on my description.

I mentioned this to the Chrysler guy, and he immediately said that the tranny would have to be rebuilt at an astronomical cost, over $2k, that answer told me that he apparently did not know the car that well, and he was not going to touch my baby.

I just thought you would be interested in that story.

So, I am going to check out the TCM and it's groundings, and try to find a place that will pump out the fluid and replace it with the Chrysler fluid.

Ron

Hey Ron,

I really feel for all of us that wind up in those predicaments. All of the following info is from my local Chrysler dealer. This is a local small town dealership. the next dealer is either; 30 mi. to the east, and about 35 mi. to the west, or about the same distance in N. Carolina.

List Price: Trans. $2095, TCM $215.58

My Cost: Trans. $1634.10, TCM $ 143.00 That includes shipping and no core charge..Installation Labor will be $280.80

If it helps you any, I'm sure my Dealer Parts Mgr. can order it and have it drop shipped to any dealer you choose.

In the "Trying to find the best and cheapest way out" motive, I installed just the TCM on mine first. If I mustreplace the trans. I do not have to include the controller.

Hey Ron,

A couple of things I should also add. I have a very nice young tech that owns the repair shop in town. He does for me all the stuff that this old arthritic body can't do any more. My dealer has no problem selling me the trans. for him to install etc.; but because the labor rate to me is so small I'll have the dealer do it.. Then Parts & Labor is Nationwide Guaranteed.. I have a personal friend that owns a Gibraltar Transmission shop in New York. If I send the car to him he will do it for 1/2 of that; but as he says I loose that anywhere guarantee..

Changing Trans Fluid = only use Mopar +4 Fluid. BE EXTRA SURE of the filter. there have been some slight changes, They LOOK the same; but DON'T WORK the same.. The recommended change procedure is: change fluid & filter, drive the car for a while (10 mi.), change fluid & filter again. This according to service bulletin, NO 18-24-95. "By The Way" The Asst. Parts Mgr. printed out all the service bulletins. handed them to me and said " Here go nuts".

http://www.allpar.com/ That may be more helpfull to you.. Good Luck, Lou

I spoke to a guy in Pompano Beach the other day.

ABC Transmissions

Contact Name: Mike

1215 South Dixie Hwy

Pompano Beach, FL 33060

954-784-9801

I got the listing from www.findatrans.com

He called me and offered a diagnostic test for free, and said worse case scenario would be $700-800 for a complete rebuild.

I think I am going to take him up on it.

I thought I was the only old arthritic fart?

Thanks so much for all of your comments Lou