64 power steering pump pulley hub diameter?

alex bonino

hello everyone. i've decided a pulley remover/installer would save a lot of frustration. i've just discovered ebay has a nice selection, with applications ranging from a hub diameter of 1 1/8 up to 1 3/8.

i'm away from home for two weeks, and was hoping to order one of these so i have it to use when i get home. from memory, i'm guessing this would work, but just in case....

does anyone know offhand what the hub diameter is for the riviera power steering pulley?

thanks much in advance!

alex bonino

roa 11550

Alex, you do not need a pulley puller for the '64 Riv PS pump. Remove the nut (mostly -- leave it screwed on at a couple of threads) and tap the nut (not the end of the shaft!) while you hold the pump off the bench by the pulley. The shaft will pop loose and you remove nut and pulley.

Thanks, Jim.

So, remove the whole mess from the engine (eg.,brackets and pump with shaft still poking through one of the bracket assemblies)?

Then remove the pulley nut and pulley while out of the car, huh?

Any suggestions on how to loosen the pulley nut while keeping the pulley from turning with out damaging it while on bench and out of car?

thanks

alex

roa 11550

Alex,

If I were you, I'd try loosening the nut with the pump still on the car. Apply some heavy duty tension to the V-belt to hold the pulley. Or perhaps you have a flexible oil filter wrench that will go around the pulley. Other than that, if you have one, you can use an impact wrench to break it loose when it's off the car.

Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alex bonino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Jim.

So, remove the whole mess from the engine (eg.,brackets and pump with shaft still poking through one of the bracket assemblies)?

Then remove the pulley nut and pulley while out of the car, huh?

</div></div>

Yes. That's what I did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alex bonino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions on how to loosen the pulley nut while keeping the pulley from turning with out damaging it while on bench and out of car?

thanks

alex

roa 11550 </div></div>

I keep a length of 1/2 inch nylon braided rope in the shop. Before you remove the pump from the engine, wrap that rope into the V of the pulley and tie it off on something like the water pump pulley or the crank pulley. Wrap the rope in the proper direction so that as you torque the nut the rope tightens on the PS pump pulley. My nut was not so tight that it was an issue.

There is a key in the pump shaft. Don't lose it when you remove the pulley.