'68 Riviera NOS Rear Lamp Bezel

68RIVGS

True, hard to find, but is NOS really necessary with taillight lens/ Mine are perfect used. Some NOS makes sense, some not so much. The taillights on 68-69 Rivs seems to be well placed, high enough to avoid most dents and breakage, recessed enough to avoid cracking.

The plastic tail light lens are not a scarce item, and they can be refurbished easily Bryan.

I'm refering to the die cast pot metal bezels that mount in the rear buper, and surrounds/finishes off the tail light assemblies in the bumper !

These were quite prone to pitting (particularily in a northern climate), some collision damage, stress cracks and casting flaws.

This is the first NOS piece I've seen available since the Buick Farm sold out of these quite a few years back !

• 7 years later...

Still looking for a RH One? This one has a slight bend in it from having parts piled on it - but its still very useable - going through my old dealership close out trailer and I stumbled across your post =) 

R.2 680 1#1382068

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181917842330?item=181917842330&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

-J

DavesJunkyard =D

Appreciate the offer 'J' and the link, but this post is 7 years old - and a lot of water passed under the bridge since then !

A few years back, I was fortunate enough to locate an original used 'pristine' right side, and swapped out a pristine used '69 bezel for it, with no $$$ changing hands.

Good luck with your 'Evilbay' listing - it looks like a decent piece, but at .25 cents per US dollar, with all the added shipping costs, it's just not worth it at this stage. One of he joys of being "Canadian" eh?

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

NOS '68 Riviersa left hand tail light bezel on evilBay, not mine !http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250211485723&rd=1. . . just my luck, I need a right side, # 1382068.These are a fairly scarce item to find in NOS condition.

There is a very nice '69 left side tail light bezel on eBay and of course I need a right side one. What is it about the right side - do they deteriorate faster than the left?

The '68 bezels had a tendency to bend in the middle because of the curved design that matched the bumper contour, and the rather long overall length of the bezels. The upper portion was pinned and bolted to the bumper with thread cutting nuts, while the lower part of the bezel was floating.  They are also fastened to the bumper at either end with two stainless screws captured in cage nuts mounted to the bumper. The problem was rectified with a redesign of the original bezels, by the addition of two vertical bars near the end of the '68 production run. It is not uncommon to see late '68s with, or without the redesigned bezels, which were introduced prior to the '69 production run. The two different designs are interchangeable as Pat mentioned.

Steve - the bezels were chrome plated, die cast pot metal pieces of varying quality, that were quite prone to pitting, particularly in northern regions where salt is used for winter driving conditions. Both sides are equally prone to pitting, depending on the quality of the originals, and because of the intricate design of the bezels, it can cost a fortune to have them re-chromed. NOS pieces are quite scarce, and usually priced accordingly, so 'good used' with little or no pitting is the more economical way to go.

What totally surprised me, about this post was the fact the NOS seller '- J' from Dave's Junk Yard, took the time to find and reply to a thread that was originally posted way back in Feb., 2008 - almost 7 years ago !! 

Just goes to show that NOS parts are still out there somewhere, so never stop looking !

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)