Carburetor on '29 Pheaton ?

Guest Speedster

Guest imported_Speedster

There's a '29 Pheaton on eBay now that has a Carburetor of a type that I've not seen before.

There appears to be an adapter between carb and manifold, since the mounting bolt holes of carb are rotated 90deg, from those in manifold.

So the carb definitely wasn't designed to fit a Packard.

The throttle linkage rod is very simple and should work tho.

Anyone know the make and model of that carb?

Engine Picture:

post-33516-143137965104_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks Jon, Do you know what Makes normally used the Schebler, I don't remember seeing one anywhere ?

From your comment, I take it that it was not the most reliable carb around?

Guest imported_Speedster

I found a data sheet on the Model-S.

Man, That's one strange lookin' Carb. wink.gif

I didn't know Anyone made carbs that Complicated, during the '20s !

post-33516-143137965107_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just looking at those copper fuel lines smirk.gif </div></div>

Looks kinda 'Kludgy', don't it. wink.gif

I'm glad the guys that designed these Great cars can't see what we do to them sometime. blush.gif

Rick - lots of expensive cars (and boats) used the Schebler model S carbs.

The major problem when new was with the primary air intake.

Look closely at the drawing, and you can see two air intakes:

The primary is on the bottom right, through the banjo fitting, the secondary is on the upper left (aux. air valve).

When the engine is turned off, all of the fuel in suspension in the intake manifold and the throttle portion of the carburetor drops straight down and runs out the end of the banjo fitting (some models did not have the fitting, and the fuel just ran out under the carb).

And while the Schebler has some complexity, if you really want to see complex, take a look at a drawing of a Rayfield carb, or the float arrangement on the Johnson used by Cadillac.

The Schebler worked pretty well in its day (however, like most "automatic" carburetors, it doesn't like deathanol). Its biggest problem was leakage.

Jon.

West - cannot answer your question specifically, but one Packard enthusiast who has fabricating skills wanted to build one several years ago. As you may know, the Johnson R was a zinc alloy casting and a "thin-wall" casting at that. Have never seen one in good enough condition to rebuild.

However, this enthusiast contacted me to see what I had in samples, and I sent him several broken examples to use as patterns, along with a box of aspirin. wink.gif

He called after receiving the samples, and we had a good laugh about the aspirin.

A few years passed, and we talked from time to time, but his work schedule kept him from working with the Johnsons. Finally, he returned the Johnsons AND the aspirin (now outdated). Said since he no longer had the Johnsons, he didn't need the aspirin.

smile.gif

Jon.

Guest imported_Speedster

I see one thing that makes the Schebler less complicated. It doesn't even HAVE a Choke valve. frown.gif

I'm wondering how well that car starts on a Cold day ? smile.gif

West, Sorry, It'll take More than Aspirin. laugh.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

I would like to see them, I don't remember that thread.

I noticed that All pictures are gone from older threads.

I guess our Admin, that keeps his finger on the Delete-key, is At it Again. laugh.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like me to post them here or back on my thread?

</div></div>

Here would be fine. Since so much is missing from your thread.

Guest imported_Speedster

I've been searching internet, looking at various Makes of Carbs, that were available during the '20s, and I've come to Really appreciate the simple Detroit-Lubricator carb that Packard engineers desided to use. smile.gif

The auxiliry-air-valve springs are a little difficult to adjust on the DL, but at least they are up where they CAN be adjusted, instead of buried down in the carb, like most Makes were.

Rick,

Wait and tell me what you think once I post the pictures of the carb I have. Memory serves me right I think there are only two or three screws for adjustments all very easily accessible.

Not sure what happen to the DL that came on the car but it is long gone. I know mine is not correct for show standards but what is a person going to do. Buy a DL if you can find one in good shape and willing to pay the piper?

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">, I found in an old box the remains of a Detroit Lubricator dual-throat </div></div>

Almost like finding a box full of Gold, isn't it ? wink.gif

But by using the word 'remains', I assume there wasn't enough to restore, correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">, I found in an old box the remains of a Detroit Lubricator dual-throat </div></div>

Almost like finding a box full of Gold, isn't it ? wink.gif

But by using the word 'remains', I assume there wasn't enough to restore, correct? </div></div>

Yes. I wonder what the pieces would bring up on eBay? shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, you don't suppose a little aspirin will help my Johnson start working, do you? laugh.gifblush.gif </div></div>

More apt to make you forget and live with the fact it doesn't work. grin.gif

Jon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd bet a million bucks you haven't seen original dual-throats. blush.gif The repros cost $25,000!!!.... And I don't think that includes a new intake, either. sick.gif </div></div>

Hey West - thank you so much!!! Please look up my address in my bio as to where to send the check. I have 2 complete ones! grin.gif

There are at least 3 different dual throat Detroit Lubricators. The first was used on the 1916 Regal; the second on Packard marine engines and subsequently on the early run of Speedsters; and the third on later Speedsters. Unfortunately, both of mine are for the Regal. frown.gif

I had an original third type, but it and I parted company a couple of years ago.

Jon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd bet a million bucks you haven't seen original dual-throats. blush.gif The repros cost $25,000!!!.... And I don't think that includes a new intake, either. sick.gif </div></div>

Hey West - thank you so much!!! Please look up my address in my bio as to where to send the check. I have 2 complete ones! grin.gif

There are at least 3 different dual throat Detroit Lubricators. The first was used on the 1916 Regal; the second on Packard marine engines and subsequently on the early run of Speedsters; and the third on later Speedsters. Unfortunately, both of mine are for the Regal. frown.gif

I had an original third type, but it and I parted company a couple of years ago.

Jon. </div></div>

Well, I was actually betting Tom. Sorry, bets cannot be transferred to another party. I should have added that I'd bet he hadn't seen an original dually on eBay.

What happened to the original that you had, Jon? Did it get put on a Speedster? Whose?

Guest imported_Speedster

Tom,

Is the bracket above the air inlet for a push/pull cable for choke? If so, it seems to be mounted in a strange location?

Rick,

Yes it is for the choke cable. The round thing with the slot right near the inlet is where the wire from the cable goes. There is a set screw to hold it in place. You can see it in the second Picture. I rarely used the choke when I had the car running that is.

Guest imported_Speedster

Do you have an air-filter for it? If so, does it mount directly on carb or is it the remote type, connected by tube or hose?

I like the way the air-inlet curves Up, to prevent some of the gasoline from dripping out, like it does from the DL, when engine is shutoff.

Guest imported_Speedster

One more question, Is there a drain tube port on the very bottom, below the air inlet, or is that protrusion for access to the main jet?

Rick,

At your service. Here are some pictures of the Air Cleaner. Looks like I have another part that needs to be powder coated.

The last two with the chrome air cleaner I have no clue what chrome one fits or what it is for.

post-31137-143137965152_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137965152_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137965153_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137965154_thumb.jpg

post-31137-143137965155_thumb.jpg

Rick,

It is a keeper don't you think?

I am not really sure where one could purchase one. I did a quick yahoo search and it seems older H-Ds used them but not this size thou.

Tom, the Linkert literature leads me to believe the carburetor you pictured is one of their A/M units, the Model R. It is my belief that the Model R Linkert was based on the then defunct Schebler Model T. No car company ever picked up the Linkert R, and I have no information that it was ever sold as O.E. on anything. In 34 years, we have had one request for a rebuilding kit for the R. We have several of the carburetors.

Jon.

Jon,

That is interesting to know. That is probably why there is not much info out there then. What parts would you or do you have? As you know there is not much to this carb.