Transmission Frustration

91Reatta798

I have a '91 w/ 185K miles. After the first start up of the day, the tranny needs to be put into first gear and sit for 10-20 seconds before it engages. Once it does, I can shift into any gear and drive. However, at most stops and slow rolls, she will act as if in N and takes another 10 seconds (and a prayer in Phoenix traffic) to re-engage and drive. If I put it into N before I stop, I can shift into OD and drive ok. She's got a new TPS, has had 2 new tranny filters and fluid changes, and a new vacuum switch replaced (I feel stupid for not remembering the technical name, but the one that attaches to the tranny housing just behind the driver side headlight). The fluid levels are good at temp and in gear. Any other thoughts? I'll accept all suggestions, except a new tranny! Thanks

Is this problem only at first start up? How is it after everything is hot?

I have experienced your traffic, my sister lives there, you don’t need anything to slow you down when it’s your turn to go… It sounds like something is plugged up or very restricted. I don’t think the modulator valve will cause this, it is to soften the shift from one gear to the next, but your problem seems to be getting it into a gear to begin with. ?

Was this th reason for the fluid changes and filter changes? Was there a problem before the change? KennyV.

I just thought of one thing you might check.. (I also have a 91, never a problem with the trans… I did add a trans cooler some time back)

In diagnostic while you are driving and experiencing this type of problem… check to see what gear the computer is showing you to be in… 91 is an electronic trans and you might need to check your wiring harness at the plug on the trans… KennyV.