Indy 500 Race Car

ARUCKEY

• 11 months later...

Just ran across this post and thought I would add my two cents (although quite late).

Phil Shafer raced and built Buick Indy Cars from 1931 through about 38 or so. He finished 12, 11, and 16th in 31, 32, and 33 respectively. He took his '31 car to Europe, and placed respectably in the German Grand Prix.

Corky Coker has campaigned a replica 1937 Shafer 8 that he has campaigned in The Great Race and VCRA rally events. The car placed 16th in the 2007 Great Race (we finished 17th, darn!)

You can see his car at his web site at: http://www.cokertire.com/

The car under the logo is the Shafer 8.

Pat

• 2 years later...
Just ran across this post and thought I would add my two cents (although quite late).

Phil Shafer raced and built Buick Indy Cars from 1931 through about 38 or so. He finished 12, 11, and 16th in 31, 32, and 33 respectively. He took his '31 car to Europe, and placed respectably in the German Grand Prix.

Corky Coker has campaigned a replica 1937 Shafer 8 that he has campaigned in The Great Race and VCRA rally events. The car placed 16th in the 2007 Great Race (we finished 17th, darn!)

You can see his car at his web site at: Coker Tire - Your Source for Antique Tires and Wheels

The car under the logo is the Shafer 8.

Pat

I know it is bringing back a long dead topic but I just found this image of Phil "red" Shafer in his racing Duesenberg at a track in Abaline TX. I assume it is the same guy?

post-52164-143138653253_thumb.jpg