Brake Spring

wenthur

I wish I could figure how to put pictures on this sight, I can get them on my desktop. then no matter what I do I can't get the picture in the post. But I need a brake spring for the "1929 DB furl truck, Also the boxes that work as back fenders. Need spring badly!! got to get this puppy on the ROAD

Hey 1930, I don't know enough about the mechanics of these cars and truck, but my employee that is working on the truck says that it should work. I would love to have the spring and at least try it. Everything I have been able to find is the right length but very small coils. After I get it I will send you at least the shipping cost.

Mike Wenthur

1211 Fitzgerald Lane

Hanford, Calif. 93230

I dont want anything for it just if you cant use it send it back to me. I will try and mail it out Sat and will let you know when I have done so. If you decide that you no longer want it between now and then please just let me know. Jason

Mailed out spring this morning fed-ex, also wanted to mention that a few months or I guess maybe a couple of years ago I was in need of a pressure plate spring for my DA, of course could not find one anywhere and went online and found several different companies that would make as many as I liked if I sent them a sample. Very inexpensive and they would have made one little tiny spring or can make real big springs, anyway just dont feel like you are stuck over a spring like I thought at the time. If you need any more help with that DA than just let me know, it seems harder to get help on these DAs for some reason that some of the earlier models but I will help in any way I can.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Jason, Really at a loss for word with gratitude, I will diffidently send shipping cost. I am not all that knowledgeable on models of cars, I have just restored some weird stuff no one wanted until after I finished. 1936 Helms Bakery truck, 1957 DKW 3=6.A bunch of "65 Chevy trucks for my business.And a couple muscle cars over the years. And now I got on this Dodge Brothers kick. When you mention DA what are you referring too? I have not seen this mentioned in all the literature I have and have been afraid to ask such a basic question.

• 2 weeks later...

I had not seen the second to last comment you left until today so sorry for no reply, DA is just a model designation code that is given to differentiate the different models of vehicles. The DA was supposedely the first model designed and released by Walter Chrysler after he took over Dodge in late 28 although it says everywhere I have read that the DA was already mostly designed by the time Chrysler came into the picture. Sorry to hear that spring will not work, I have googled spring manufacturers and cannot seem to find the company that I have used before to make springs. There are many out there though, seems to me that you need to go to possibly a shop where they work on heavy equipment and show them what you need and I am sure they can provide something that can be at the least cut and bent to suit your needs. Maybe you want original stuff and I know how you feel if that is the case but I am pretty sure that if parts could be considered hard to find for my car than parts for your truck might seem impossible but I am sure with some help from different people you can get it together. I have quite a bit of info and pictures on DA trucks, black and white and nothing really that you could use for detailed examination but still all good info. I would also like to say that you should not feel silly to ask a question although I know how it feels because what I know is a drop in the bucket compared to some of these other guys. Anyway I would like to help in any way I can, hope you do not become discouraged, you can contact me either thru here or my e-mail is jhason2@juno.com or my # is 813-655-6322 and if I cannot answer a question I will get the answer for you. all of this interests me and I would enjoy helping

Wenthur try for a spring from a dodge standard or senior six , or even a Graham bros truck as Chrysler was still using some parts from Graham then.

Guest Thomas Myers

Hi Mike

I have springs for victory six which are 5.4 inches long by .565 diamiter It looks very much like the one you pictured . The price is 7.00 and it is new.

Guest Thomas Myers

Hi Mike a check is fine we do not take paypal.

Myers Early Dodge

8201 Wadsworth Road

Ottawa Lake MI 49267

The total with shipping is 33.00 dollars thanks Tom

My mistake, I had measured the broken spring and a section must be missing, took off other spring and it is 7" long and 1/2" around. Please I need one, Picture is 3 post above. I have checked the vendors with no avail,want to drive this truck by spring. MIKE

Mike check out this item # on E-bay, just went up today I guess, advertised as a brake spring, length is not quite what you say it needs to be but it is advertised as a DA truck brake return spring, I dont see why you cant make this work, anyway check it out.... 350027827908

Now that i look at it again I figured out that he does maybe not know what he has, this is actually I believe the spring for the return of either the brake or clutch pedal, still hard to find but may not work for what you want.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello - several bay area spring manufacturers have helped me out with winding special springs, both heavier duty for the front of my Hemi powered hot rod, and lighter duty for softer rear springing and traction transfer. One, Valley Spring Works in Vacaville (707) 449-1929 even did the job with a phone call in which I gave the outer dimensions, ride height and weight per side and hit it perfectly. Another, Rhodes Spring in Oakland (415) 636-0682 has a shop that looks like the middle ages but can wind any spring. Leafs, I don't know. [that 415 phone may now be a 510, haven't called lately]. Don't give up on springs, they can be made to fit anything! D.

Hello Wenthur...I have a complete front end like yours drums and all. I have to make a trip to my farm to check it out. As soon as I saw the front rims with the spokes I knew I could help. My guess is I have the whole dang thing backing plates and all. My 1919-23 DB needs a new rotor...????

Thanks Joe-Binghamton NY

Joe the brake springs are 6 1/2" long, we got some from Gary's old dodge parts, he was a little cranky and assured me he knew what I needed, got the spring this week and they are 5 1/2" LONG, so still can't use the truck yet. I have had people say I could get them made. But running a business and wifes health problems I haven't found the time, If you have the springs or want to sell complete brake system let me know. I want to drive this thing someday. I will probably drive it everyday

Wenthur, get a spring at the hardware store that is of the same diameter and wire size, BUT is too long. Now use a hammer on a sharp edge of a steel plate, like a welding table, hold the spring at a 45 degree angle against the edge of the plate and give it a good wack , like you are trying to cut it on the edge, with the hammer. The coil will bend right over. That will form the one end hook. You will understand how to cut to length and form the other end after seeing how easy this is.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks you all for the help, but the springs that arrived were either too lite duty, or too short, even bought springs from Roys and they were an inch short, Finally found a set of tractor springs on ebay with the hooks 180degrees off, but they worked, Still no brakes. so it is rebuild master cylinder next. After honing it still has small pits and a small grove were end of piston hits. Is this a big deal or do I need to re-sleeve the cylinder?

Guest elmo39

Wenthur

if they have small pits and/or a groove ,i would either find new cylinders or have yours sleeved , it doesn't take much of a pit or groove to let the fluid past. remember your life and others rely on your brakes,if you have them sleeved do them in stainless , i have had them done in brass before but they don't seem to last to long.