Should an 11B GS be a small badge?

Guest Gee_Rydes

Guest Gee_Rydes

Looking at a 65 GS (yes, it's a disease) and the plate shows the date to be an 11B. Isn't that second week November?

It has big badges though

Any gurus have thoughts on the matter?

Thanks for all your input...

This clearly should be a Small emblem GS if a GS at all. I think I saw this same one currently on Evilbay with a BuyItNow price of 9500.00 I saw the pictures and it states the numbers are matching he posted a pic of the motor serial number along with the lx stamping but no pic of vin plate.

I also noticed this car and it's problem with the 11B build and the large emblems. I emailed the seller and asked for the tranny code and here's what here sent:

"I found the code for the riviera trans and it goes as follows:

64n211

BN-64-227

Thanks, Pete"

The tranny is not correct for a GS. The '65 GS package has a BS coded transmission.

If we're talking about the same car. Not only were the emblems the wrong size, they also placed improperly on the fender.

Patrick

ROA 5912

'65 Riv GS

454? Someone has, pardon my French, chevy on the brain. LOL

Here's part of a blurb from the Riview on identifying a Gran Sport. It says the modified transmission was part of the Gran Sport option.

From the Riview:

"The The Gran Sport option (A-9) listed for $306.38 and included the:

• The 360 hp Super Wildcat dual 4 bbl engine. The engine was a 425 ci (code LX) with two AFB carburetors (front #3645, rear #3925) and distributor (#1111058) with a different throttle curve.

• The engine package included a large fully chromed twin snorkel air cleaner, with a metal monogram that read "Super Wildcat," finned aluminum valve covers with "BUICK" in raised letters. The package also required a different upper AC bracket (#1367411) to fit over the taller valve covers.

• A modified exhaust system - the exhaust pipes were increased from 2" to 2¼" inside diameter and had less turns to reduce backpressure.

• A modified transmission - the modified transmission had a "BS" code on its ID plate.

• A positive traction differential with a 3.42 rear axle. The 3.42 positive traction was standard but other ratios from 2.78 up to 4.45 could be special ordered.

• Gran Sport ornamentation

• Special wheel covers.

A separate Ride and Handling package (H-2) with 15-1 steering ratio and heavy-duty suspension was available for an additional $37.63.

The Gran Sport option did not include the chrome road wheels, upgraded (custom) interior, ribbed rocker panel, or any other accessories - i.e. air conditioning, remote mirrors, power windows, etc."

The B code, and other numbers supplied to you, suggest that this is a '64 TH400, a one year only transmission, not the switch pitch ST400 (regardless of code) that was in all 65 and 66 Buicks behind the nailhead. In '64, the transmission quadrant was PRNDL, in 65 and 66 it was PRND2L. The '64 shifter had no 2nd gear only detent. You'd have to ask someone with more tech knowledge if a 64 trans hooked to a 65 shifter has a 2nd gear stop in the transmission.

Ed

Dave,

I have only found the BS coded trans in the Gran Sport models. I have checked a handful of Super Wildcat only equipped cars and the trans codes are what I would have expected had the cars been Super Kitty equipped or not. Most have a 3:07 posi. Having said that, it must be noted I have never run across a Super Wildcat equipped car with a 3:42 rear gear that wasn`t a Gran Sport. Common sense would dictate that an original buyer, if wanting the Super Wildcat motor and the 3:42 diff, would have simply ordered a Gran Sport. We may never find such an example and, perhaps, Buick never built one. Chances are,decisions associated with such an unusual circumstance would be dictated by who or what was available on the assembly line at that moment....I can see it now...Moe says "Can you believe this idiot ordered the Super Kitty and the 3:42 posi but didn`t order this wreck as a GS? This is b.s.". Curly replies... " Got the trans, Moe, where do I put it?" Wooo, woo, wooo,...woo, woo, woo...

Tom Mooney

Guest Gee_Rydes

Ed,

My 454 comment was about quantity made, not engine size:

There were 3,354 Gran Sports built in 65. The remaining 454 dual four engines were installed in standard Rivieras as an A-8 engine option.

I might get booted off this forum if I even uttered the number 454 in regards to engine size.

Thanks Ed and Tom for all your info.

I saved a picture of the data plate on the car in question because I bet some day, it will pop up with small badges and being passed off again as a GS.

Dave,

When I re-read your orignal post, I can see what you meant. You might also notice that I didn't capitalize chevy when I wrote it out. Disrespect intended. LOL

Note to all: I'm not trying to start any wars here, just having fun so please, don't start emailing me. grin.gif

Thanks