Zephy ID tag

bayo-wolf

If they are not missing, you should have two plates on the passenger-side firewall. The bigger plate is the patent plate. The plate under it has the *body* number (not the serial number) for your car.

The serial number is actually in three places. The first is on front driver's frame (look down, just near the radiator and you might be able to see it). Another place is on top of the transmission, if the tranny hasn't been changed out. The third place is on the rear frame, I believe driver's side. However, the fender has to be off to see it.

I had my inspection yesterday. Turns out he never even looked under the hood to verify the VIN. He was more concerned that the wipers didn't work. I had forgotten to check them. The passenger side was mounted backward and this didn't allow the arms to move more than a half inch. After scratching my head a bit, I realized this and just reversed the arm on the passenger side. Now they work fine, and I have my inspection certification.

I am considering having a replica 1937 data tag made. Can someone post a photo of a real one, or direct me to a link where one is posted.

Earle Brown listed under "sources" can get you a copy of the big patent plate. I might have an extra body tag I can send you -- do you have a 4-door sedan? The body number is different from the serial number, so the tag is really not critical for registration.

Yes, I have the 4 door sedan. The serial number is clear on the front frame once I was told where to look for it. I was under the impression there were two firewall tags. One with the body number and the data tag with the serial number. Did I misunderstand this?

Shawn

Guest imported_V12Bill

R. Hommel in Pittsburgh, PA can duplicate the body plate. Look for his ads in The Way of the Zephyr and other Zephyr supplier ads.

Shawn - neither of the two tags on the firewall has the serial number. The big one is a patent plate that has the Lincoln name and a lot of patent numbers listed. The body number tag is really small and will say something like "HB 730 XXXX"

I need to know where to look for the vehicle serial number on a 1946 Lincoln four-door sedan. It's not a Continental. This is a car in a junkyard that I strongly feel maybe a family car but I can't prove it. The car is sunk down in the ground so I can't look under it. There is no plate on the firewall. It's gone. Please be very specific about where to look. Thanks in advance for your help. Steve