Correct me if I'm wrong...

Guest edalfa

The January 2008 Hemmings Classic Car cover story is about Bargain Collectibles. They define this as under $5000.00. Buick is well represented with 71-75 Electras, 73-74 Centurys and 71-72 Centurions making the list. In the Centurion caption they state that: "For three years, Centurion was the low-line full-size Buick". Is this right? I thought the LeSabre was the entry model while the Centurion took the place of the Wildcat as the "sporty" full-size Buick.

Ed

I think you are correct (have not read it yet). LeSabre was always the low line full sized car. I owned a 72 Convert, Centurion-- far from low line.

Guest 63Stude

The LeSabre was the lowest-line big Buick, followed by the LeSabre Custom. Then, the Centurion was next in line.

I subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car, but honestly there is not a month goes by that there isn't some incredibly basic error of fact like this that makes it into my first two minutes of reading. Yeah, it's not a big deal, but it's so basic, you wonder why nobody at the magazine caught it. And of course once something is in print, people use it as 'irrefutable fact'!

Bill P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63Stude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car, but honestly there is not a month goes by that there isn't some incredibly basic error of fact like this that makes it into my first two minutes of reading. </div></div>

This is one of the reasons that I don't subscribe. Still, if the issue looks interesting, I'll buy it. You do have to wonder how errors like this make it through the editorial process. Maybe Microsoft could invent Fact-Check as a companion to Spell-Check. wink.gif

Ed

Guest my3buicks

The Centurion was also GM's top of the line rear wheel drive convertible, the Eldo was front wheel drive. Like today, many people preferred and opted for the rear drive, so I assume many possible Eldo buyers opted for the Buick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">honestly there is not a month goes by that there isn't some incredibly basic error of fact like this</div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Classic Car</span> isn't nearly as bad about it as <span style="font-style: italic">Muscle Machines</span>, and the last few years of <span style="font-style: italic">Muscle Car Review</span> were downright shameful in the amount of error it contained.

You must remember that most of the editorial staffs were still sh**ting yellow if they were even born when the cars they profile were produced.

I expect Koch got Centurion confused with the mid-70s A-body Century, which I believe WAS the low-line intermediate?

I'm absolutely not understanding why no Oldsmobiles made that list. There are plenty of interesting Olds available for under $5000.