1940 Pontiac

littlejohn

My father bought a new 2-door 1940 Pontiac. It had an unusual rear end design with a more squared-off trunk and two small rear windows. In fact, I have never seen another one like it, and have not seen a picture that illustrates it. Just wondered if this sounds familiar to any other Pontiac owners. Thank you for your thoughts.

Regarding post on 1940 Pontiac, another person suggested that the trunk area of the car looked liked a 1939 Pontiac. I am guessing that during the transition to the 1940 model, Pontiac used a 1939 trunk and rear panels on an otherwise 1940? Might be a rare thing if we had it now!

If you can find some pictures of the side of it, it would be easier to identify. 39 Pontiac taillights were round units in sort of a teardrop shaped housing mounted on a little pedistal on the fender. Looking at my copy of 75 YEARS OF PONTIAC OAKLAND, by John Gunnell, I think the car is either the Deluxe 6 or Deluxe 8.

thank you for your interest. The car I've referred to had the 1940 style tail lights rather than the 1939 style. It was a 6 cylinder, two-door. In all photos that I have found, the two door had the rounded trunk, and had the gas cap on the right side. An interesting little mystery and I appreciate all thoughts. Happy Holidays!

John Church

Guest Pete Woodruff

The fuel filler on the passenger side means it was a Special Six, A-body car built on the shorter wheelbase (116.5") Chevrolet chassis. The Deluxe Six was a B-body and built on a 120" chassis like the Deluxe Eight and had the fuel fill on the driver's side. The Torpedo Eight was the new for 1940 C-body and had the fuel fill on the driver's side under a door.

The January issue of the Early Times newsletter will feature a complete rundown on the 1940 model year.

I own a 1940 Deluxe Eight 4 door Touring Sedan; the Style No. is 40-2819.