1933 Franklin Olympic convertible coupe

I am doing a ground up restoration on my 1933 Franklin Olympic convertible coupe. I plan to show it at an AACA show, but only long enough to get my National First, then I want to drive the wheels off of it.

I bought the car in 2003, and started disassembly as soon as I got it. Last year the frame was painted, and last month the springs were all re-bushed. I'm hoping to have the chassis rolling again this summer.

Work, kids, and lack of funds all are factors that keep these projects from progressing at a reasonable pace.

The car will be completely stock, but after I get the AACA First, I will most likely fit either a modern rear end for more favorable gearing, or install an overdive. Other than the 4.5:1 gearing, Franklin got this one right from the start.

Oh, in the meantime, I dive my 1932 Franklin sedan as much as I can. It's bone stock and original. No electric fuel pumps or other hackery. It runs perfectly no matter the weather. I regularly drive it 350 miles to the Franklin Trek. Id does leak oil like the Exxon Valdese, and a lot goes out the tailpipe too, but a case of oil is easier than tearing the engine down. When the convertible is done, the sedan will get a ring and valve job along with all new gaskets.

Antique cars are not dead! Not by a long shot.

post-48034-143137958748_thumb.jpg

post-48034-14313795875_thumb.jpg

post-48034-143137958751_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Braverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, my Plymouth has not seen daylight in about 10 years. I'd like to get it out and on the road again. Maybe next year. </div></div>

Got any pictures available of your Plymouth? laugh.gif

Does anyone have a price guide, that shows the app. prices of these fine automobiles? (1932-33 Franklins) I think I'll have to add one for my must-buy list. These look so neat.

This is what Manheim has to say as of June '08:

1932 FRANKLIN Airman Dsp/HP Eng Fair Good Exc Show

CONV COUPE 1932-33 274/100 6C 16,000 24,000 34,000 47,000

COUPE 1932-33 274/100 6C 12,000 20,000 26,000 32,000

PHAETON 1932-34 274/100 6C 14,000 22,000 31,000 42,300

SEDAN 1932-34 274/100 6C 8,500 12,000 16,000 20,000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HarryJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought '32's were "PB"s. I have a 31 "PA" ; although registered as a '32.. Steve , you ought to get the Plymouth out , no matter the series. </div></div>

It was a mid-year model change. Some PAs are titled as 1932s. I'm going to try to get the Plymouth on the road for next summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mika Jaakkola</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of engines/trannys Franklins used? Continentals maybe, what about chassis? suspension? Can you guys tell us who don't know.

Thanks!!

</div></div>

Continentals!!!!??? Mika, those are fighting words!! Franklins were known for having air-cooled engines. The engine was entirely of Franklin's own design and manufacture. These are the best photos I have of the Olympic's engine, showing it with and without the cooling shrouds.

The suspensions on all but the Olympics and V-12 cars used full elliptic springs with tubular front axles. Franklins were NOT assembled cars like may others of the era. The Olympic is kind of the exception. Franklin needed a less expensive car to sell, so the Olympic is essentially a REO Flying Cloud with a Franklin engine and trim.

Franklins are so different from any other car, that I can't even begin to explain it here. Go to the Franklin Club's web site at www.franklincar.org for more info.

The price guide numbers that have been posted here are fairly useless.

post-48034-143137997157_thumb.jpg

post-48034-143137997158_thumb.jpg

post-48034-143137997159_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Braverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Continentals!!!!??? Mika, those are fighting words!! Franklins were known for having air-cooled engines. The engine was entirely of Franklin's own design and manufacture. These are the best photos I have of the Olympic's engine, showing it with and without the cooling shrouds.

</div></div>

Oooops blush.gif Sorry, Steve. whistle.gif

Thanks for the info. That Franklin photobook might be worth of purchasing?

• 5 weeks later...