starter/gen trouble, what went wrong

I'm just guessing, but you had to have a dead short to burn up the s/g, so unless you had a battery cable shift and short out I would suspect the cutout. Can you disect the s/g to see if a brush came loose and short out? BTW, there is a s/g on DBay right now. I bought one from Roy Brister several years ago when mine wouldn't start, only generated. I'm well pleases with it.

i have some bits and pieces here to make another, but i used all my best in the first one. where the brushes run looks ok but the wires from the armature have been flapping about and the wire casing has shredded into fluff. checked starter switch and contacts look like they may have stuck sometime but are not stuck now. slight burning there on faces, no other damage.never noticed any smoke either. maybe if can get a photo on here you might see something i can't.

you maybe right, possibly has been machined before and with the wear it could have become pretty thin. have machined a spare and ready to put back in, this one measures up a bit more than the other so may make a difference. bit thicker where brushes run too. found out i can also get new commutator fitted. just purchased reco starter switch, old on outside but new on inside.

• 2 weeks later...