Won't start...where to start?

petelempert

My 63 has been starting reliably for over a year. All of a sudden nothing. I've got a strong battery, headlights, interior lights, checked that it's in park. When I turn the key all I get is idiot lights in dash...no clicking or cranking of any kind. I'm thinking it could be starter solenoid, maybe starter, neutral switch, ignition switch and the list goes on. I'll try almost anything...but I hate electrical stuff...really. Any hints on the best place to start? Thx PRL

Get a test probe - alligator clip on one end, and an awl on the other end. There's a small lamp in the base of the awl. Ground the alligator clip end and start probing. Start close to the battery and work your way towards the problem. When the lamp no longer lights, you've isolated the problem. Get yourself a chassis manual; it will give you tips as to where to start based on what works and what doesn't.

Ed

Ed-You're right of course. You caught me being lazy. I have a test probe and a manual. I just hate the whole old electrical gremlin thing, and I was hoping sombody would chime in saying "Mine did that last week...it was the ____." Anyway, thanks for the encouragment. PRL

Guest rlbleeker

In my experience, it's usually the neutral safety switch. Wiggling the shifter or shifting it out of park and back may fix it, temporary of course. It may start in neutral instead of park also, not sure. I used to start my Impala with a screw driver, just short across the studs on the solenoid. If it's accessible, it's a quick way to check the solenoid. You can bypass the neutral safety switch with a jumper. Be aware that a poor circuit (like a dirty/corroded safety switch) may pass enough current to light a probe or show voltage/continuity on a multi-meter, but not enough current to pull the solenoid.

I think that it 's got to be the neutral safety switch. I did a lot of wiggling it today and finally got it to start in neutral only. My chassis manual only details a column mounted version for cars like a WIldcat. I'm assuming the switch on mine is on the floor shifter, drivers side. (Looking down-two purple wires in front contact and a blue wire and black wire on the back contact) Is this it? Mine is kind of dirty, maybe that's the problem. Is this something I can take off and clean...no idea what the contact will look like...or do I need to look for a replacement?

Hi Pete,

The solenoid wires should be purple. If it`s not the nuetral safety switch look for a two wire plug in the area under the master cylinder. The purple wire should be your ignition sw controlled voltage to the starter solenoid. This connection seems to fail frequently. Good place to test for voltage beyond the neutral safety switch without disassembling the console. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

On page 10-81 of the 1963 Chassis manual, Figure 10-89 there is an illustration of the console wiring for a Wildcat. The light blue and black wires are the wires for the backup lights, and the purple wires are for the neutral safety switch. See if there's not an adjustment on the switch that will align it with the shifter lever when the lever is in its proper place on the detent. There is a note on the illustration: "PURPLE (2 WIRES) - MATCH UP WITH PURPLE MARKS ON SWITCH"

Ed

• 2 weeks later...