Setbacks and progess

backydmech

Great ol V12 ran for about 15 - 20 secs then ran out of gas I had primed it with but sounded great.. went back to start it again and noticed water pumps not turning pulled and found them to be locked up.. Gas also not getting to carb.. will be sending carb and pumps off for rebuild.. Wonder can you bring feloney charges against mechanic for leaving water in a car with new rebuilt engine sitting for ten years? what an ID---.. By the time I finish fixing his mistakes and boo boos I may not be able to afford to finish interior.. GOSH ANT THIS HOBBY GREAT

A word to the wise, if your engine ran, your carburetor is probally all right, your problem is in the fuel delivery system, tank fuel pump and gas lines and hoses, especially the one between the fuel pump and steel gas line. With it off, blow into it with your finger over the other end, it will not work at all with the tiniest leak, also blow through the gas line and see if you hear bubbling, if you dont, run a long piece of wire down the tube from the front, that may clear an obstruction. on the water pumps consider Skip Haneys water pumps, a lot of people are very happy with them, they make the engine run cooler.

Rolf's advise to get H2O pumps rebuilt is a good idea. Mine were frozen also after 30 years. I had to replace the fan belt which had a terrible set in it, and squirt lots of oil in the cups, play with the pulleys by hand, and then they worked! Even though the pumps didn't leak, I'm still getting them rebuilt.

I'd recommend checking the spark while your at it. Could be weak, or only operating on one side.

Abe.

Going to try and do it the smert way. Sending water pumps skip (if he will do them for me) carb set so may have bad or weak diaphragm send to kens. while I'm at it replace spark wires, one weak condensor, fuel pump.. checked gas line it was clear.. and so it goes.. may have to go back to work to support car habit.. this may do it so I can get started interior

fitz

send both pumps, coil and dist to skip...rebuild carb if it looks ok....look at the little ears around bowl..look at threads in fuel inlet..if they are rounded..chk ebay..lots of near nos or old rebuilt carbs around...any carb shop can do it..very basic..fuel pump is available napa, glass bowl style..

replace both condensers together in a set..

chk Mr.O'brown for dependable parts /help..

zeffer, jake rebuilt distributor for me about month ago, your right, Talked to him on telephone to get tips on installing, took his time made Sure I understood,, Neat Guy.. thanks for tip on condensor will speak to Earl when I call him tomarrow.. may just go ahead get two and swap set.. carb was rebuilt before installed and looks new but as it set for ten years just want to renew.. it is orig equipment want to keep.. fuel pump bowel type on order NAPA as is new solenoid.. am going to install new pulg wires also before restart.. Next start I can add coolent a few gallons of gas and let the ol thing run for a little bit before I shut off and go for the interior..

FITZ