Need info on Gas Can

Guest EMF-Owner

Guest EMF-Owner

My Neighbor brought over a gas can to show me that he thinks is an E-M-F 30 related gas can. I disagree, but I do not know much about this type of automobile memorabilia and I know someone here will know about this and be able to give me some infomation.

The can is looks like about a 5 gallon can. I can see where the word "Gasoline" was painted on it at one time and I can see that the color of at least the side was red. On on side is a soldered on emblem that says either "AMF" (as I think) or "EMF" (as my neighbor thinks).

I have attached a picture of the can. If anyone can tell me more about the can like:

- Actual Description of can

- Approximate date of can

- Approximate value of can

that would be great.

Thanks

John

post-30782-143137956028_thumb.jpg

Ithink your neighbor is right to me it looks like a E.if it is (as along shot) it could stand for Everett-Metzger-Flander , which was an early American car make around 1908 , Studebaker took them over later. The can looks the right era.

OOPS, I should have looked a bit closer at your post i didn't notice that you had a Studebaker EMF . I now feel like the student trying to teach the teacher, although i still think it is EMF on the can

Guest EMF-Owner

Thanks for the thoughts. I would think if the first letter was meant to be an "E", that the bar would not join up with the leg of the "M". Of course, I am assuming that all the letters are capital.

If this were an "E-M-F 30" releated item, I would expect the symbol to be closer to the "E-M-F" logo. And if it is an E-M-F item, then what do you suppose it would have come from? A service garage perhaps?

Any gas can collectors out there that may have seen a can like this?

Thanks

John

• 2 months later...

Looks like AMF for "American Machine and Foundry" to me. They are an old-time, long-time, midwestern manufacturer of all sorts of machinery, equipment, and implements.

I think you're going to have to let your hope about this can go....it seems to be clearly AMF, not EMF. Regards, John