abs unit leaking brake fluid

Zakarasu

hey all, im not fairly familar with the abs "teves" unit. from what I saw, it is leaking somwhere within the abs unit itself, i just want if anyone can help me on where to start/look for. I work all week, but saturday i plan to wash it down, and find exactly where the leak is coming from. So in reality, what are my options, once i find where the leak is coming from, thank you all once again.

Before you think that your teves system is leaking, please go to Reatta.net and read the tutorial on "brakes" located on the left side of the home page. I'm thinking that brake fluid was added without depressurizing the system. Then when the pump builds up the pressure excess fluid is forced out, causing your leak.

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zakarasu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i have to add 1 bottle of brake fluid every 3-5 days, and theres huge puttles on my driveway, </div></div>

Common result of adding brake fluid without depressurizing the system, as noted above.

IF the problem is actually you overfilling it, this is what you need to do:

Under normal circumstances the level in the overflow reservoir will be below the "fill" line. Before adding any fluid to the system you must depressurize the brakes. You do this by pumping the brake pedal (with the car completely off) at least 25 full full pumps 'till the brake pedal is rock-hard. THEN you check the fluid level in the reservoir and add fluid if necessary. If your level is above the "fill" line you can remove fluid with a turkey baster, a straw or somesuch.

When you turn the car back on, the system will pressurize and the level will return to its normal level which will necessarily be below the fill line. If you have been adding fluid not using the method above you have been overfilling the system and when the brake system naturally loses pressure while the car is off (like overnight) the reservoir overflows, leaving you with the puddles.

Of course you could actually have some other problem, but we've almost all experienced the overfilling problem either doing it ourselves before knowing the proper procedure or after getting the car back after some mechanic has helpfully overfilled it.

• 2 weeks later...

Back everyone, I investigate some more, come to find out, it was the front left brake hose had been leaking. Apart of the sheathing had been tore open/off and been leaking there. Also front strut sheathing too, but the strut is very tight at the moment and not loose, so ill probably replace that later. Also got my back cylinder leaking, so i got couple problems to fix. Can't believe mechanic would try and rip me off by buying the whole abs unit, cause he said he checked the hoses.....Thanks everyone for yalls input.

hey yall back one more time on a question, i bought the front left brake hose yesterday, picking it up tommorow, but got a problem and now im afraid to drive it. Since yesterday (monday) the *brake red light* has been ON and everytime up until then i would just add brake fluid and it would go off. well its tuesday night and its been on 2 days straight. Tonight after work it was makin this weird noise that i can't describe, but i have full petal. It just scares me to drive it like it is after hearing that noise and all. I plan to fix it tommorow at noon, but i just hope i make it. Not to mension my emergency brake don't work either...

Call a wrecker...then call your girlfriend or confir with your better half for a ride to work man....if there is none (which sometimes we are all better off without :)), either take a bus to work if you are on a bus line, or CALL A TAXIE.....Please, as you don't want to hurt yourself, and ESPECIALLY INNOCENT FOLKS......

Nic