Spark plug wires.

Guest windjamer

Guest imported_Matt M, PA

Ron....(and someone please correct me if I am wrong, I am not an expert on GM products)..it is my understanding that somewhere around 1960 GM started using dated wires, prior to that they were not dated.

While I respect everyone's thoughts here...it would be great to get the "official" opinion from someone with the AACA. That said, I still contend that the reason for a point deduction on the car in question was due to "Delco" marked wires, as opposed to "Packard" marked wires.

Whether or not they have to show a date code or not is also of question, but considering how different they "replacement" sets look compared to the "reproduction" sets...I'd put the most correct ones on the car that I could.

With all due respect, I have written the same thing now several times. A simple glance at the repro wires shows how much different they appear..(from the shape/color/angle of the boots, to the wording on the wires themselves)...compared to modern replacement Delco's...seems obvious to me that this would be cause for point deduction.

I too am unsure as to the exact date GM date coded wire. The wires from Lectric Limited match my original 55's down to the boot angle, ribbing, etc. There was no writing on them or the originals.

One wonders if the "authorized replacement part" is anywhere near correct or just something the dealer buys from a non GM house? I have seen dealers buy wiper refills, gas caps, antifreeze, lamps, etc and try and pass them off as GM?

A picture of the wires in question would probably end this rather quickly.l

Guest resq302

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt M, PA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but it would be worthy of a point deduction as it is not "factory".</div></div>

Actually it is a mandatory 10 point deduction for even one Halogen bulb. It does not matter if you have one or up to four. The deduction is the same.

There is a one point deduction for non-matching headlights. They must match by brand and era within the brand. (ie. Don't mix GE and General Electric as they are from the same brand but different eras.)

I'm not an expert in GM products, but know that for certain years a T3 headlight needs to be in place for correctness. </div></div>

Actually as of right now there is no deduction for lack of T3 headlights. While they are now available as reproductions of the orginal T3s, at one time they were so hard to find that the AACA stopped requiring them. This was debated on another thread (I just bumped it back to the top so that you can find it easily.) and it is my understanding that this issue will be re-addressed in February. And a decision will be made at that time for future shows. </div></div>

I beg to argue on the same brand issue. In 1969, I have seen multiple unrestored original Chargers have Westinghouse high beams and General Electric hi/low beams.

Some of us only think two headlights. (My 3, and Dad's antique cars take two. Mom's the odd one with four in her Dodge)

whatever brand(s) is on the right for headlight bulbs should match on the left for bulbs. Most likely all four would match but it was very possiable they ran out of the one beam and got an order of bulbs from another manufacturer cheaper than what they had been using.