Need Help - 69 Cutlass Conv Parade Boot Clips

Doug69Cutlass

Hi, I am new to this forum. I recently bought a 69 Cutlass S convertibile. The car came with a parade boot. After having a hard time putting it on I did some reading and I found my boot has clips like a 65 to 67 that clip over the trim around the back of top well. I think my boot for the 69 should have some sort of plastic tabs instead that slip under the back of the trim. Does anyone have any information on the boot I need or where to get these tabs to replace the clips if that is what I need. Thanks.

Not sure when they changed from snaps to plastic tab retainers, but I can vouch for 1971-76 big car convertibles have plastic tabs that slip under the pinchweld trim moulding, from the rear.

When you say "parade boot" do you mean a soft vinyl boot, or a hard plastic or fiberglass cover? Most people assume a parade boot to be a hard cover, which was generally available only on higher line full size cars.

It's possible you have an aftermarket boot which may have attached differently than the factory piece.

Doug, if this is the soft boot then I am 99% sure what you should have is a plastic tab. There is a metal part attaching the hard plastic tabs to the boot itself. The plastic tabs hook into the stainless molding. We have a '68 Cutlass "S" convert which is is a fairly low mileage orig. - I am pretty sure the top boot that came with it is original. These tabs do not seem to age too well, my boot is ok, but most of the tabs are gone. My upholstery guy tells me that it really is not practical to try to replace them vs. the cost of a new boot, and I do not believe they are available by themselves from any of the repro guys.

How do you like your car so far??

The boot I have is a soft vinyl boot so I guess I shouldn't call it a parade boot. I did notice in some parts catalogs that the clips were available, but no mention of plastic tabs for sale. I guess I will look into buying a new boot with the tabs. Does anyone have any liturature or a diagram of this style?

Steve, I really like the car. I was looking for more of a project and this car has an older restoration and is still in pretty good shape, and am very happy with it. I bought the car from a car dealer in Rockford, Il. who owned it for 6 years. He didn't give me much information about its past. I hope to investigate it more because I would like to know more about were the car all was and about its restoration, etc.

Thanks for the information.

Doug