finding tires for our 23-4-35

Guest bkrystad

Guest bkrystad

First things first: get the project car rolling! The 40-year old tires on it now are square. Tough to push.

My dad recalls the original tires were 31x4. I'm finding these BF Goodrich tires at Coker:

http://store.coker.com/product.php?productid=17627&cat=0&page=1

Are these right? Sure look like it. Were whitewalls original? Or stick with blackwalls? The last tires my grandfather put on the car were already tired used blackwalls, so it would be true to form to stick with black.

Suggestions and corrections appreciated!

May I make a suggestion. If this is a project needing restoration of any great amount, before you invest in a full set of new tires and tubes, try finding some one nearby that has some old tires you can use temporarily (I know, not an easy task)to make sure the various drive train, brakes, etc. work. I assume that is what you are trying to achive at this time. Others can answer about whitewalls for that age, but I think most 1923s were black.

If this is going to be a multi-year proiject you will want to safely dtore any new tires so they do not dry rot over the period of time before it is restored and on the road.

John

I have a 23-4-35 which is restored. The tire size is 5x23 6 ply blackwalls. I know they had whitewalls then but I'm not sure if they were optional or if blackwalls were all you could get. Suggest you look in Hemmings Motor News.

Darryl

BCA #43289

The tire size listed in the book is 31 X 4 which is a 23" rim. Darryl, the tires on your car are probably 5 X 33 which is also on a 23" rim. The way you figure this out is to double the low number (5 times 2 is 10) and now subtract this from the large number. I have pics of Buicks taken at the time with whitewalls but black was more common.