Proper Engine Color

KQQLCAT

I am looking for the proper color for a 61 394 low compression engine. I have asked a alot of sights and get no help except the occasional smartass. I know Olds called it green but it looks turquoise. Someone out there has to know there are plenty of them out there.

Thanks

Pat

Nice. Makes me feel real good about legitimately answering your question in one of the other forums.

I'll think twice next time.

Thanks

Just to clue everyone else in, the answer was - Olds called it green. That was not meant to be a smartass answer, if that is how you viewed it. It was meant to be a fact. That was what Olds called it in the engine chart in the front of the shop manuals. It is a lighter green than the dark green that was used on the early Rocket engines, which is readily available. Fusick does not carry this lighter green, nor does Bill Hirsch. There is no known vendor (at least to me) for this shade of green at this time. Most of the 394 Oldses of this era that are being restored are 98s and Starfires and they used a red which was also used on the 425s up until the late 60s. I guess its not cost feasible for someone to formulate the light green due to the low demand.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I expect 50s Buick Green or Turquoise will be a closer match than the Chrysler color.

If you've got a valve cover or something off, and any part of it hasn't faded out too bad, take it to a good paint supplier and get them to color match it and mix you up a few spray bombs. They can put a hi-temp additive in it for engine use.

I think I'm right that all 1959-60 394 engines were this same green? 61-4 low compression and export engines were also this color green.