flex plate

rofly1

I have two questions if anyone could help....one is a tc is for sale very near me with a cracked flex plate, the owner thought the trouble was in the transmission...whats a flex plate and is it expensive to have fixed? I have an 89 auto 2.2 and have put a navigation system in it, what i need to connect to is the vehicle speed sensor, can anyone help?

thanks Roger

Hello Rofly,

An automatic car does not need a heavy flywheel. It uses the weight and inertia of the oil in the converter. The "Flex Plate" mounts to the Transmission Torque Converter on the outside diameter and the engine crankshaft on the inside diameter, taking the place of that well known flywheel. I have no knowledge of the flat rate hours for this job on our TCs. To give you an idea, either you remove the transmission assembly or you remove the engine assembly to get to it.

Enjoy, Lou

I went to see the car today. It is very rough. Its a very early (no fake woodgrain dash) wide supports on the hood. Lights have no cracks but cant check if they work. Seats are very rough, armrest has disintegrated, a wheel is missing .....no glass in the rag top roger

When I had my right axel and boot replaced,the guys had to beat it offm because of all the rust and they broke my ABS speed sensor . They said they would replace it for free if I get another one. They said it was mounted on the spindle,and it was not the one that is in the transmission, Jo Ann

Just for reference, I think the flex plate could be removed WITHOUT pulling the transmission. I had the engine and transmission separated enough to slip my hands in between the two.

I just installed an engine yesterday and had to shove the torque converter back in all the way with the engine in the car.

Take two open/box end wrenches and play with them. You can hook the box end of one to the other. OR to make it easier, cut the open end off the wrench and slip a conduit on it to make a breaker bar.

I made an O2 sensor "box end breaker bar" that way. I just cut the wires on the old sensor. It's bad so who cares. Slip the box end on, slip the bent pipe on the wrench, and I have a 3' wrench that loosens the O2 from the top of the engine. (I have 6 turbo cars, so it was worth ruining a brand new $18.00 wrench.)

You also have to lock the crank from the other end to prevent rotation.

If you ever remove the swingvalve, you should use the two wrench method. The torque is applied and the head of the bolt better than using a socket. The bolts that get turbo heat are really attached and tend to break when a socket is used.