Optima battery mounting

Steve_bigD

Wondering if anyone else has used an Optima battery? I just installed one in my 1938 40-41 and am looking for methods others have used to hold the battery down. It is significantly smaller than the OEM size.

I am considering drilling mounting holes at the bottom of the battery tray to mount brackets that will grip the mounting "ears" at the bottom of the battery.

Thanks,

Steve D

Steve:

I use Optima batteries in both my 29 Buick roadster and my 37 Cord Westchester - neither of which are show cars, so I don't worry that they are not correct for judging.

In the Buick, I simply wedged the battery in the battery box with styrafoam - and I'm not worried that it will bounce out as it's a heavy battery.

In the Cord, I already had 2 battery mounting rods and a metal battery top hold down piece for the old, standard sized battery in place in the battery box and I simply modifiied the metal battery top hold down piece to make it smaller so it fit the optima battery.

I suppose one other option would be to put 2 optima batteries in the battery box, hook-up in series and probably a standard sized battery top hold down piece would fit onto mounting rods inserted into the battery box.

Bill

For 30's cars with underseat battries I like taking 2" insulation styrofoam (the pink or blue stuff) cutting rectanglular pieces the size of the battery tray, stacking enough of them together to the height of the Optima and cutting the oval cut-out to hold the Optima. If you peel the film off of the foam you can glue it with any good glue that doesn't melt the foam like carpenter's glue

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Here is an idea that you may want to consider. If you have the old battery still in your possession you could cut the top off. Now this is a messy busines, but you could remove the top, remove all the old innards from the case, fit the Optima in the case and connnect the Optima to the terminals on the old top. Put some kind of sealer around the top to secure it to the case and it will look original. The case will protect it from heat if you need to shim it with styrofoam on the inside of the case.

I have seen one of these "conversions" on a Chevy and it looked good.

Joe, BCA 33493