Interesting Ebay Auction Results on 30s Packards

Orin

Guest imported_49packard

The 36 was probably about right. I think it was quite abit better than a#3. I have a friend with almost the identical car only-more recent restoration although the engine bay on the ebay car appears to be in better condition.

From my observations full classic open cars have really increased in pricing in the past year so maybe your reference points are dated. Packard 32-34 coupe roadster in excellent condition are now selling for $225-$250K. A V12 34 just sold for $570K at a RM Auction

The auction report indicated that the car wasn't as nice as the money paid for it indicated. I would guess a 36 coupe roadster which is not as popular as a 32-34 in excellent shape will sell for about $130-150K. Again I'm just taking a semi-educated guess.

Guest imported_49packard

What is wrong with it? The top is the only thing I see. But I am looking at pictures vs my friend's car which is almost perfect and restored by a local Packard Wizard.

I don't think there is anything really "wrong" with the 36 Coupe-Roadster, although it has a patina that suggests it isn't a show car. It's a lovely car, but the interior looks original and shows its age. Look at the picture of the wire wheels -- looks like paint over some old rust, not uncommon. None of these things are "bad," at all -- in fact, I personally prefer a good driver and it looks just right to me. But I still think of that as a #3, at least based on the pictures.

In my (modest) experience, the tough part about valuing these cars seems to me that so much of the market consists of freshly restored show cars. I've found that valuing a driver is hard because there aren't many of them around that are still drivers and the price of a restoration is through the roof. You end up with a very small supply and a pretty narrowly defined demand, making prices hard to figure out.

Tbirdman, I'll look for that in the open cars. What do you make of the price for the 39 Sedan, though? I have found that price guides for 30s classic cars are often way off, but these prices seemed a bit high for the market to me. Granted, I've generally thought that the market for 30s cars is flat, and probably will be flat for a while (if not forever, in real terms).

I found the hard part in puting a price on these cars, is that there are not that many transaction to develop a pricing guide. It's not like BJ auction, where they sell 100 Corvettes every Jan. Buying a driver and then restoring it to show condition normally will cost more than buy a show condition car.

The 39 V12 sedan seems high, though it look like a solid car. But for comparison, I saw a 34 V12 limo for sale #4 condition for an asking price of $60K and a V12 Club Sedan in 3- condition for $37K. So I agree that the 39 price seems high. I also was offered a 39 V12 in 2- condition for $70K.

I have observed in the past two years that the 30s era closed cars have remained flat while the open cars have significantly increased. The good thing about buying a closed car, is that you get the same quality of a car for a lot less money than buying an open car. However the same holds true when you go to sell it.

I hve the sadistic desire for my cars to be driven but also to be very nice condition which tends to be mutually exclusive.

Guest peter packard

Gee whiz guys, the only thing that I need for my collection is a V12 so please don't go talking the price up! Buying the car is one thing, shipping then paying GST (State Taxes) at the end can make a reasonable buy very expensive. It is very similar to a house auction as there are a limited number of available buyers and it has to be your day, whatever side of the buy/sell fence you are on. Hopefully in 2008 I shall rugby tackle an owner to the ground and give him his best price and secure one of these delightful and elusive creatures. I just want to drive it for fun. Peter Toet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 49packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is wrong with it? The top is the only thing I see. But I am looking at pictures vs my friend's car which is almost perfect and restored by a local Packard Wizard. </div></div>

Please don't get me wrong, I love the car's condition. It's in better condition than my own Packard. My only comment is that it is in no better than class three condition, 85 points, max. If I were judging it on a 100-point system (CCCA), I'd take off...

Top: 2 points

Paint: 2 points

Chrome: 2 points

Interior: 2 points

Engine compartment: 2 points

Wiring: 2 points

Authenticity: 1-2 points

Under carriage (based on the condition of the rest of the car): 2 points

Now I'm down to 85 points, and I haven't taken any points off for items that don't work: i.e. clock, cigarette lighter, guages, lights (inside and out), brakes, etc. If everything works, it's a perfect tour car!!!

A Class 2 car is a show car that doesn't get driven much and will win awards at any show (not necessarily First, but usually).

A Class 1 car can win First place at any show, and is probably the best example of its type in existence.

(These more definitive definitions we have in letter form from the publisher of the original Class 1-5 condition ratings, Old Cars Price Guide)

Most people assume incorrectly that all restored cars are in Class 1 condition. Most restored cars are Class 2 cars as restorations vary considerably depending on who is having it done, and who is doing it. Few shops have the capability of producing a Class 1 restoration.

In the case of this car (the 1936), it was probably a Class 2 car when it was first finished, now it has dropped down to Class 3 condition.

Guest 1956Packard

weeeee...

I feel us sliding into an original vs. restored vs. over restored debate here.

As for values, as the open cars rise, the closed will ride the wave (as with all makes and models). There will just be a lag.

Geoff

I hate it when a seller's mad.gif does not have a reserve or a low reserve, then pull the auction and relist the same item again a day later at a higher price or worse yet the same. I usually refuse to bid the second time. i crazy.gif had that happen a couple of time, and ebay was not help making him sell at the high bid price/ confused.gif

Guest 1956Packard

I am not overly familiar with this body style. Is it me or is this car a little less original than suggested? I guess I am looking at the interior. When I say original I mean restored to original specs - and I don't mean the seat belts.

1930 Boat tail

Geoff

It is a totally bogus 1930 Packard 734 speedster runabout.

The ad copy says there are only 11 boattails known to have survived. Of those 11, only seven or eight are completely authentic with 734 bodies, 734 chassis and 734 engines. This car does not have any original 734 components on it, only a few 734 reproduction pieces.

Actually, a better completely fake reproduction just sold at RM's Meadow Brook sale for $121,000, to give you an idea of its actual value.

http://www.rmauctions.com/AuctionResults.cfm?SaleCode=MB07#

Click on lot #268

A completely authentic 734 speedster runabout is valued at more than $500,000.

Guest 1956Packard

It didn't look right to me. From the wire wheels to the white dash to the door panels to the white welting on the carpet.

Does it make sense it has won Jr. & Sr. AACA????

Again, what I know would fill a thimble. I am just collecting info a photos for reference as stuff pops up on e-bay.

Geoff