'49 Sitting for 20 years - might buy - need some adivce

Gary_N

I'm supposed to be checking out a '49 Super that's been sitting for 20 years in someone's garage. Doesn't look too bad in the pictures, but has not been run since parked. So, I'm trying to figure out what I would need to do to get this thing running. So, I have some questions:

1. Fuel. Most likely what ever was left turned into varnish? So, the tank needs help and fuel lines. The pump most likely needs to rebuilt? Carb is most likely a disaster too?

2. Trans: Never had a Dynaflow. I assume the seals or whatever else that resembles seals are shot? Anything else?

3. Assuming the coolant was antifreeze, what happens to the stuff after sitting for 20 years? Radiator is most likely a mess as well?

4. Electrical: Can I just emery cloth the rusty armature in the generator/starter, etc? The obvious is the wires, plugs, rotor, cap and points. Will a coil survive 20 years of sitting?

5. Brakes: These must be a mess.

Why do I even want this car? Well, it's very cheap. If it was a 2 door, I would get it no matter what. But, it's a Super sedan. The Dynaflow thing scars me. If it was a three speed, I'd be less concerned. But, it's still cheap.

Looking for some experienced advice.

Thanks!

Gary

Well, I made a mistake. It's been sitting for 30 years. The owner tells me --- still haven't seen the car --- that when he parked it, he pulled the plugs, dumped some oil in, spun it by hand, stuck the plugs back in and left it. And, the gas was left in the tank. Could there be any left?

Gary

30 years lots can happen. I would assume the worst case on all that you have mentioned, including the gas tank being rusted. If its been in a garage for 30 years thats not too bad. Anything that was rubber, is probably shot this includes the fuel pump, tires, carb, brake components etc. I'd still purchase the car keeping in mind there may be a few surprises, but firing up a car that has sat for over 30 years is kinda exciting. "ran when parked".---O.K. one of my favorites.

In the garage, the electrical components are probably okay, except for the cloth covering on the wires (mice or just age can ruin that). So the car may need a new wiring harness, which is not cheap. I would also be afraid that the engine is stuck and will not turn over. That can mean an overhaul is needed. Some people can have luck soaking the pistons with diesel or Marvel Mystery Oil, but I have never had success with that. See if you can put a battery on the car and see if the engine will turn. If it turns, you can probably get it running without too much trouble. If it is stuck, then the car had better be a REAL bargain, or else walk away.

Pete Phillips

one word of caution or advice. PULL the oil pan and clean the sludge out BEFORE starting the car. You will be surprised at how much junk will be in the pan. If you don't pull the pan, and just change the oil, the oil screen, which has been laying in the gunk for 30 years, will plug and lift allowing the gunk to suck into the oil pump.

Bill

Well, I saw the car yesterday. Didn't get any pics since it was way back in the garage. Both fenders under the headlight were rusted out. The rest of the body looked fair, but I did notice a lot of bubbles here and there. Interior was fair, and the floors seemed solid. Glass was great. Didn't look like a mouse condo, but I'm sure they're somewhere.

The sad part is the engine. It's a bit of a mess. The upper radiator hose is gone, and the passenger side is a sludgy (is that a word?) mess, from the pan about 1/2 way up. Not sure is there's much in the way of coolant. The front suspension is also covered with a ton of sludge. I'd say this is a leaker in a big way!

Electrical is typical, touch something and it breaks apart. A real fire hazard here.

The Dynaflow is the big issue for me. My old time trans man says $1,500 to fix it up -- not that I know if it needs much --- but surely seals. The seller did say he remembers the trans leaking a ton, and that was 30 years ago.

Needless to say, it will cost at least 4k - 5k (in my opinion) to get it in drivable condition, provided the engine doesn't need a major over haul. But it's got close to a 100k (speedo say 78k when it stopped working). So, I'm sure it could use some help. I wouldn't restore beyond mechanical since it's all original. I'd just drive it like it is, rust an all. But, the cost verse value is an issue. If it was a Riv or a Conv, or even a Roadmaster. I don't think 4 dr Super's are worth that much.

The sad part is that the car has been in the seller's family for 50 years. It was his father's car that he bought in 1957. But, it was just allowed to sit since 1977. I could get it cheap enough, and it would make an awesome parts car in the worst case. I think I have enough junk in my garage at the moment. Still, I want it...go figure. I hate to see her just sit there! I don't know what to do but the seller is expecting my call. I'm embarrassed to tell him what I'm willing to pay, but only because it's a big family thing for him.

Gary

Here is a concept these days--tell em the truth. Tell em you like the car, and recognize it has more sentimental value than anything. You don't want to insult him because you know all the repairs that will be needed. He may already know its condition and what its really worth. Be honest, worse case is you may have to walk away now and come back later. Or walk away period. It does sound like this car was not simply parked. Just my two cents.

Guest imported_Thriller

Gary,

Isn't this always the kicker...we get our hopes up, only to have them dashed when we see the actual condition. Now, unless you have a lot of experience, you will need to keep in mind that repairs may be double what you think.

The question becomes how much you like it and how much you want it. Four door cars are gaining in popularity. I just checked a 10 year old Old Cars Price Guide compared to one from this year - my '56 Special 4 door sedan has doubled in "value" in that time. If you could see yourself keeping the car for an extended period of time, the value should increase (pending something severe happening with the environmental side / gasoline prices).

Just some points to ponder. I'd agree with the previous post about honesty. You don't want to create hard feelings, but if they aren't car folks, you may even want to consider showing them a price guide and the descriptor of condition.

Good luck with making a decision.

Although it was probably a hard decision, in the long run you should feel good about it. I know I have experienced the dissapointment of traveling a long way just to take a look at a money pit waiting for a place to happen. Last vehicle I kept saying to myself, well maybe I can do this to offset a cost, or maybe this is in better shape and its not that bad. But when I stuck my finger through the frame the decision was made for me, much easier to walk away.

I was hoping you would buy it - I need some parts for my 49 Roadmaster. And photos of where everything goes.

Gary-we can't save every car, even though we want to. It's a sad fact of the hobby that most 4 door models don't get our juices going like 2 door models, at least in the post war era. Things seemed more democratic before WWII.

And so one has to consider time as an expense. I've seen an awful lot of very nice four door Buicks, especially at the Nationals that I would be proud to own and enjoy.

But for those of us in the full body off restoration mode, with limitations on money and time, a careful review of the purchase of another project car is absolutely necessary.

I have no problem being honest in regards to my offers. Even with rare, desirable models I don't have the thumping in my chest I had 20 years ago that I "gotta have it". My offer is my offer.

I once ran across a pair of 41 Cadillacs, one being the AACA full classic 60 Special, barn cars for 30 years and looking like it. I recognized the 60S and told the seller two things 1. that's a rare car and if correctly marketed, you'll sell it for a good price and 2. my offer, which was based on the maximum I could afford, but was worth less then the car.

Every day I am tempted by a must have car, from ebay or some such site, and every day another car replaces the one I just "let go". So make sure you are passionate about the car to engage it in a multi year restoration, and in most cases, that will not be a 49 Super four door, unless the price is 'very' right.

Regards,

Bryan "Jake" Moran