Welcome!

R W Burgess

Guest brockway

• 2 months later...

Dear Wayne,

I have a site maintenance request. Could you ask one of the web mechanics to roll a toolcart over here to the Peerless Motor Car Company Forum to change the heading? Instead of saying the car was sold from "1901-1932", it should read "1900-1932".

I apologize for being picky...but we don't want to give people the idea that Peerless came along late in the game, in 1901, when it was building & selling cars in 1900*. Believe it or not, in 1930 company ad copy, Peerless was claiming that they were America's Oldest Fine Car Builder. They did precede Buick, Cadillac, Duesenberg, Marmon and Pierce-Arrow. It's unknown how they overlooked Packard and their origins in 1899. Maybe they looked at the technicality of Packard not changing their name from the Ohio Automobile Co. (or something similar) to Packard until 1902 or 1903.

I saw a telegram for sale on e-bay yesterday that explains this a little. James Bohannon, President of Peerless from about 1929 on, stated in this wire that of all the manufacturers of automobiles at the the 1900 New York Auto Show, Peerless was the only one still in business.

----Jeff

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">It's fixed Jeff! W.</span></span>

* sources: The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942, and Horseless Age.