Motor pulling help...ugh!

Aaron65

Hey all,

My otherwise good running 263 has been tapping a little louder each day until today it started tapping loud enough that I'm not going to run it anymore...I took out the fuel pump to rule it out and that old hole in the block made the noise pretty darn loud...it sounds like probably the number 1 or 2 rod...since it quiets down about 20 seconds after the engine starts (but never totally goes away)...anyway, I'm pulling the motor and letting my machine shop rebuild the bottom end, because I have my '65 Mustang down to a bare shell in the garage right now and I don't need another big project...soooo, since I've never pulled a straight 8 out of a car before, a few questions:

1. What's the best way to pull a '53 hood off? It has those goofy oval shaped bolts..any ideas would help. The hood looks like it weighs 1000 pounds, and I don't want to be fumbling with a pair of pliers getting it off.

2. Where's the best place to attach the chains to pull it? I'm leaving the transmission in...

3. Any obstacles you can think of other than that? I know pulling an engine isn't rocket science, but that's one big hunk of iron! AND I just spent 500 bucks recoring the radiator. Ugh. Nobody said 50s Buicks were cheap!

Thanks for any advice you can give me...I'd like to have this thing pulled by early next week...

Aaron

Not familiar with the 50's but have pulled a couple of engines. Get that radiator out of there or strip the front of the engine so when it swings forward for one reason or another it won't mess it up. I was always taught to use the head bolts for pulling the older engines, front and back, not sure if thats a good idea. Take all auxillary stuff off and if ya can lay it off to the side. Power steering and such. Drain all fluids. Above all be careful it is a lot of heavy iron.

Hi Aaron, cant help you with the hood as all mine just lift off if I pop both sets of hinges. Are you sure yours wont ?

So, I found it much more managible if you pull the head off and then bolt the puller to the head bolts with some grade 8 bolts. I also found that one of those things with the crank to adjust the engine tilt is needed on these big sraight 8's.

Pull the manifolds and the heads and you will need to take the radiator out. If you dont you cant et the engine and tran far enough forward to get it out.

Its going to take 4 or 5 big fellows to help and watch the paint. I like to use moving pads to protect it.

Otherwise it is just like any other engine, I had mine out in a Saturday morning after spending the week before unhooking everything.

Putting it back in is much more fun.....

Unfortunately, my hood opens from the front...I think I am going to actually pull the hinges too, because it looks easier...I thought about pulling the head too, but then I wondered how I'd put the motor back in, since the head will be reinstalled when I get the engine back...so I think I may rig something up using the rocker shaft bolt bosses (like 4 of them)...we'll see. Everything is disassembled and ready to go now, the only things left to do are engine to bellhousing bolts and motor mount bolts and she's ready to lift...thanks for the reply!

Guest 53Bob76R

Aaron, the simplest way to get your hood off will be to have someone help hold it while you take off the four bolts that hold the hinge to the hood itself. I am saying this because the hood hinge bracket bolts are not easily accessible for removal while the fender and inner fender are in place.

Good Luck,

Bob

Well,

For anybody pulling an engine from a '53 Special, I found that pulling the hood by the hinges is definitely easiest. There are 3 bolts on each side, 2 need to be taken out from right under the dash after you have taken out the one from the engine compartment. The bolts from the hinge to the hood are shaped weirdly, so getting them out must have taken a special tool...lifting the engine out was easy...I used a 3 foot chain, 2 1-inch long Grade 5 bolts and a large washer in the center rocker arm shaft holes. I didn't even have to remove the pushrods to do it. No sweat. You will need a ratcheting, swiveling 5/8 inch wrench to remove two of the bellhousing bolts. Hope this can help someone in the future...thanks for all input!

Aaron