V12 and 337 headers

Reds Headers

do flatheads benefit from headers?? it would seem that

anything could be improvement over the log style manifolds..

the restrictions inherent in casting a flathead would prevent any real benefit..

i have duals, (frame was cut when I got it..) and it runs pretty good..i installed factory cast headers on my 428 tin indian and it made a subtle difference....

hey Rolf, have u ever seen them in your travels?? i bet Les

Keaton had them...but i cant find feature in twotz...

jb

Hey Jeff, as I have said many times, many of the "speed Secrets" used on flathead ford V-8's work very well on V-12's, headers on a built V-8 were said to increase the HP about 15%. The exhaust restrictions going through the block were always a drawback to any Ford flathead, 8 or 12, so anything that will "open them up", is a benefit, those Red's Headers in the post look super, no restrictive crossover pipe, or wimpy 1 3/4" exhaust pipe, the only problem has always been getting a good shot down the left side of a zephyr, and hanging the mufflers so they don't become the lowest point on the car, problems that have faced Z owners for decades. Your 428 Pontiac probally had a pretty efficient exhaust stock, so a mild improvement was a pretty good testimonial, if apples and oranges. I do not know of Les Keaton, wish I did, if you get any info on him, lay it on me, check out my favorite V-12 Picture-Desn't look like it made it, so wierd!!!

post-51946-143137944161_thumb.jpg

post-51946-143137944165_thumb.jpg

Guest DavidHitchinson

$210 seems OK but those headers are not equal length unlike the $430K PURPLE MOTOR ones! Seems to me its not worth doing headers unless its done right? Also they are not even mandrel bent the bend at the turn down looks crappy to me. Dave

I agree - were they done that way for space considerations? Have they been tested to see what improvement they might gain? In my Lincoln / Flathead naivety I thought they were 8 cylinder headers until I saw the purple engine photos.