'95 a/c blower

Ken S.

Hi!

Hopefully someone can help me troubleshoot the a/c blower problem I'm having w/ my '95. I've recently replaced the dash control unit but do not have any air flow. The compressor does kick on though- I've checked all the fuses that relate to HVAC described in the owner's manual. Is there a relay somewhere that I'm not aware of? If so, where is it located?

Thank you, Ken

In many cases, the automatic a/c unit has the circuit board equivalent of the old blower motor resistor. It's located under the hood, near the cowl area, and is attached to a multi-wire plug on top of the a/c case (at least that's where it is on the Park Avenues). Usually, if the blower does not work and everything else is good, that's the problem.

When you pull it out, it'll have the connector plug-in on the outside, which is attached to a circuit board about 2" wide and 4" long, with a big heat sink on it. It all fits into a slot in the a/c case, kind of like pulling a credit card out of the plastic slots in your wallet. Usually in the $100+ range, last time I looked at them a few years ago. Might be called "module" in the GM Parts database, but it should be in the illustration of the a/c unit's underhood case parts.

Hope that might help,

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

Sounds like I have a similar issue with my 89 Riviera. When I turn the car off, the blower continues to blow. I have pulled every fuse and every relay I can find... it keeps right on blowing.

I have been told that it's the blower resisitor. Went to the dealership and they talked about a blower resistor (±$200) and a thermostat resistor (±$600). Called the local auto parts store and they seem to have the entire unit that NTX5467 talks about for around $150. An issure for me is that my car is totally digital with a single touch-screen controller for everythin. I will keep you posted and I trust you will do the same for me. Let me know what works.

Ken,

Look for cause and effect: why did you replace the dash control? Did this problem exist before or after the replacement part was installed? Your car uses a fan speed control module, mounted on the bottom of the heater box near the firewall in the passenger side foot well. You can disconnect it from the blower motor and check for power and ground at the module to the blower motor. Keep us posted!

Tim McCluskey

ROA 9686

Roberta,

Riv's are great, but some years are better than others. The 95-96's seem to have more issues than the later ones, 97-99. To keep mom in the Buick family, may I suggest a Lucerne Super? J.D. Power has Buick tied with Lexus for first place in initial quality! Just some thoughts!

Tim McCluskey

Ken,

For my 89 Riviera, I found an AC/Delco A/C unit controle module at a parts store in Miami ($152). It installs above the blower to the left. Took me about 14 minutes to take out the old and put in the new. The blower now turns off when I turn off the car. I hope your solution is as simple.

According to a resource book we were looking at in the parts store, some cars have a blower motor resistor, while some years do not. My year does not. Another consideration I had to consider is that my car (as most all Buicks) has climate control (set the thermostat and enjoy), and my car is completely digital with a central touch screen controller.

Hi All-

Big thanks to all who took the time out to help w/ my '95 A/C blower question-- miamimark, nTX5467, buick racer & tim63riv. Turns out I was able to use all of ya'lls input & now have ice cold BLOWING a/c. Took a new b.motor control module & motor w/ wheel. Thanks again all!

Ken