Radio scan skips frequency

gr8scott

This may not be a Reatta-specific problem. Both of our other cars as well as our home radio receives a certain frequency (FM 100.1) loud and clear, but not so our '89. Whether I try Scan or Seek it goes right past that point as if it didn't exist. Every other station is fine. I seldom use the radio so I could care less, but my better half's nagging about not receiving her favorite station is having an effect on me. What could cause this problem?

I recall a friend having this problem with radio about this age. He eventually found that it was a frequency issue with the electronics and engine of the car. He ended up taking it to a dealership to have the radio changed out. It was under warranty. That solved the problem.

Guest TommyH

If you push the 'tune' softkey on the radio page, it should go, 99.8, 100.1, 100.4, and so on and so forth. play around with it a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gr8scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> my better half's nagging about not receiving her favorite station is having an effect on me. What could cause this problem? </div></div>

Hmmm? grin.gifgrin.gif

Alot of people suggest repairing our radios, b ut I have found that picking one up from a junk yard is a bit faster.

The radio brain box is also used in 88-94 GM pick ups and 95 Regal. It only takes a 30 minutes to swap it out. One note, you will loose the 7 band eq ulness you find one of the above modles with it. If not the controls will turn to your basic trb and bass functions. I personally find the one missing the 7 band eq has a much better sound to it any ways

This thread is probably more info than you want but here it is

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/92072/Number/393517#Post393517

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be missing something, but why not just go to tune, and then put that station in as a pre-set. </div></div>

Nope, I'm the one missing something -- never thought of the Tune key. Once I did the station does come in, but rather weakly and seems to be overpowered by another station. Other radios in the house/other cars do not have that problem. Maybe that's why the scan/seek function skipped it.

I owned a factory authorized warranty station for many brands for 51 years, I repaired car stereos as well as home stereos and projection TVs, before that I repaired tube TVs and car radios and mono Hi-Fi equipment. Over the years it seems like the scan button was deliberately set to skip over weak stations. And they didn't have a adjustment for the sensitivity level either. The tube radios were adjustable, but when it all went silicon, the circuit was part of the IC, and nothing could be done. I just put the weak stations in memory and scanned the strong ones. I got a lot of complaints over the years about this problem, but the only thing I could do was complain at factory service seminars. You can imagine what good that did.

If you've never replaced your plug wires, they are certainly due, and they may be setting up interferance. Also never put your cell phone in the ashtray as it's going to be right next to the radio unit. Two cell phones that I have had have had this effect. Cell phone interfere with these units.