Engine changeover?

Years ago, I put a later model 350 engine in a 1984 Chevy Caprice with the only problem being the computer system which we did away with when we changed to a carburator. I'm now wondering about these later Caprices with the fuel pump in the fuel tank. Is this (high pressure??) pump compatable with a carburator or will I need a pressure regulator to keep from over running the carb floats? Or worse yet, will I have to take the pump out of the tank and replace with an engine mounted pump?

Wayne

I would suspect that you would need a regulator, assuming that the Caprice recieving the engine was originally equipped with a fuel injected engine. A mechanical fuel pump supplies fuel at about 5-8 psi while fuel injectors tend to need a much higher pressure.

One other option would be to disconnect the in-tank pump and mount a Holley Red electric fuel pump near the tank. I use this set up on my hot-rod 70 Monte with a carb and it works just fine.

You know Wayne ... I didn't think about that. My gut tells me there wouldn't be a problem since the fuel would flow through the pump if it were running. My only other thought is how efficiently would the Holley pump suck the fuel from the tank through the in-tank pump? I'll ask around and see if I can get an answer.

Thanks Stan, but my mechinac called yesterday. One of trottle body injectors had stuck or something and blew a fuse. He replaced the fuse and got her running, but only on about 4 cylinders. He then ordered a new rebuild kit for the unit at about $350.00. Umm, would have bought a nice Holley, but who's got the time. crazy.gif

At any rate, I guess she'll be on the road by early next week.

You know, I'm not used to anything running like that. It sounded just like a "fire" problem to me. Carburators don't do that kind of stuff.

Wayne