1935-36 Buick What to look for

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

IF a person were to be looking for a 1935-36 Buick Special, say maybe a Business Coupe, what should he be looking for/at. Say also that this person is not at all familiar with pre-war Buicks but realizes there are major items and concerns involved with them that he being a post war Buick owner is totaly unfamiliar with such as wood frames and straight-eight engines.What advice relative to owning a pre-war Buick and what to look for when looking at a prospect would you give this person.

Guest imported_Thriller

Buy it!

grin.gif

I love the styling of those years. One major change that happened from '35 to '36 is hydraulic brakes for 1936. Other than that, I'm definitely not the best person to be giving advice...it is nice to see you thinking outside the '54 box though wink.gif

A real healthy bank account!!!

I'm more inclined towards the classic lines of the 34/35 Buicks. The biggest problem is if you have to replace the woodwork and lets face it, not too many don't require that after being around for 72/73 years. The trick is to go for a roadster/convertible coupe or coupe. Less woodwork and only one pair of doors to get hanging correctly.

Thriller is right, Buick introduced hydraulic brakes in 1936 but the cable brakes of the 34/35 cars are very efficient, the trick is to keep them properly adjusted ( just as you have to with hydraulic brakes!! )

The mechanicals on all 1934/35/36 era Buicks are easy to work on and generally speaking rebuild parts are available from the usual places ( Bobs, ebay etc ). As for that straight eight, well you've never lived until you've driven one of those down the highway.

Cruising speed is always of topic of much discussion. Top speed on 34/35/36 is around 80/85 MPH ( unless you buy a 36 Century which is way faster ) and they like to cruise at around 55/60 MPH. This is fine in Australia, we have a blanket speed limit of 60 MPH. There is some talk out here about getting some higher speed rear ends manufactured so we can cruise at lower engine RPM's and up the fuel economy ( that's the story anyway ).

The Series 40 cars are light and very easy to handle. Having said that there was a 1936 Special business coupe advertised by Mark Shaw back on June 23 on the For Sale and Wanted forum. The car was in Oregon and listed at $9500. Not a real pretty colour but from the photos it appeared to be solid, had plates on and appeared to be a driver. All in all a pretty desirable car at a very reasonable price. MAYBE YOU SHOULD BUY THIS CAR!! It's a lot closer to Georgia than it is to Western Australia!!

I highly recommend buying/restoring a car of this era, you can't go wrong provided you get the right car of course.

If your looking at another purchase does this mean Mrs Earl had that clearing sale? don't tell me Irene got the axe after all????

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

it is nice to see you thinking outside the '54 box though wink.gif

</div></div>

Who's car you callin a BOX? I'll see <span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span> in Seattle mad.gifgrin.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A real healthy bank account!!!

</div></div>

You're probably right Stuart. So I may as well stop lookin. I have enough projects and I definitley would want something ready to enjoy and that's going to be more than what's in my Buick piggy bank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a lot closer to Georgia than it is to Western Australia!!

</div></div>

But I'll bet it would cost nearly as much to ship from OR to GA as it would to AU.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your looking at another purchase does this mean Mrs Earl had that clearing sale? don't tell me Irene got the axe after all???? </div></div>

Last I looked Irene was still gracing the garden.

post-32987-143137940349_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

it is nice to see you thinking outside the '54 box though wink.gif

</div></div>

Who's car you callin a BOX? I'll see <span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span> in Seattle mad.gifgrin.gif </div></div>

And I'll be buying you and Teri a fuzzy navel or two, I'm sure. Of course, weren't a few of the export models in a box as a CKD? smirk.gif

Stuart, I think that may be just what Lamar and Rita need. wink.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TERI? TERRY?

</div></div>

Yeah, I know...Lamar corrected us once on the spelling, but I don't recall which one is for certain, so I use the one that is known to be feminine so he knows who I mean wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

Yes indeedy!!!

I spent a fair amount of time looking at the 34-38's in Seattle. I think I'm going to have to be satisfied with just looking at them vs adding one to the stable. I could never afford to outright buy a correctly restored one and can't handle the idea of giving up any of my 54 projects to restore one. I had seriously considered the one in Oregon that Mark Shaw had posted on here. After learning what all it needed and associated cost to make correct I gave up on it.