water pump lube

Guest 1930

Guest 1930

I am curious to know thoughts on water pump lubrication for a 29 DA Dodge, I have read previous posts concerning this and one of them had suggested going to local fire dept. and asking for a little water pump grease? I guess that it is a water resistant grease, my water pump has an oiler or that is what I would call it on the top of it, you would puch the little ball down in the center and according to owners manual apply engine oil?It also states in two places but I have not found the second place yet. I would prefer to keep the original oiler and lubricate it in the way suggested in the owners manual unless someone has advice as to why I should not do it this way. I am hoping that someone will give me direction on the best possible way to maintain this pump. Thanks-you

Guest 1930

I could easily put a zerk fitting there but i would like to first hear how it was originally intended to work and if that was more or less efficient than updating it, thanks so far anyway for your replys

You do not have an oiler. You do have a grease fitting and the little ball allows you to put grease in and not have it come out. It is an early version of the zerk fitting with has two ears on it which allows you to push the gun on and twist. It should also have a cover on the fitting to keep dirt and grit out. You should have the same fittings on your chassis. You need to get the proper grease gun and grease all the fittings on your car but use different grease for the different purposes (waterproof grease for the pump, chassis grease for the chassis). If you have a owners manual it will identify all the fitting locations and show you a picture of the gun and how to use it. There are two types of oilers. The top hat oiler was used on Model T's and earlier cars and has a lid you lift off. The steam oilers have a clear glass cyc which you put oil in and it drips down into the hole. Never put grease where you have an oiler and never put oil where you have a greas fitting. I hope this helps.

You do not have an oiler. You do have a grease fitting and the little ball allows you to put grease in and not have it come out........The DA parts manual calls it an oiler and the owners manual says and I quote...The water pump shaft is mounted on two porous bronze bearings which should be lubrictaed with engine oil every 2000 miles. The oil holes carry the oil to the outside of the bushings and then it seeps through to the shaft. This prevents any possability of dirt which might lodge in the oil holes reaching the wearing surfaces of the bushings, and also prevents water leaking out the oil holes........ I would directly use this method as stated in my manual except that over the years people have clearly used grease in there and I am afraid that the bushings may be so worn because of improper or lack of lubrication that the oil would simply seep away immidiately and burn my pump up that is why I am asking others there experiences because I am sure this is a common situation.

If your dodge manual says put oil in it then you have a dot oiler. I was not aware that Dodge ever used that style oiler on a water pump. If your fitting looks like a pyramide with the ball on top then it is an oiler. The dot oiler is also used in the rear of the starter/geneerator unit. So you will understand where the advice is coming from the 1923 Dodge Book of information for dodge brothers motor vehicles says "Keep the water pump shaft bushings well lubricated. Fill the grease nipples with Dodge Brothers Motor car cup grease every 500 miles". the lubrication schedule also says to use grease on the water pump. I hope we didn't lead you astray. By the way you fittings are abaliable from McMasters Carr. Lots of luck.

The fitting is definately an oiler fitting, I still havent had my question answered and may not I guess but if you wouldnt mind how do I contact McMasters Carr. The fitting that is in the pump does not have a wrench head to remove it and should I need to do that I am thinking that maybe it is pressed in and may need to be eventually removed so it would be good to know of a supplier. The manual clearly identifies this as an oiler fitting as I had quoted earlier post. Thanks for your attempt to help and I hope everyone appreciates the time you give to people to answer questions on this forum, if it were not for a select few such as yourself we would all be lost in problems.

McMaster Carr has a catalog which is about 4 inches thick. They do have a website http://www.mcmaster.com/ but the best way to find something is to call them. Their staff is very helpful. The main problem with using oil on a water pump is that it has to lubricate but still not break down in water. There used to be a product called steam oil that was used on locomotives and I am sure there is a modern subsitution for it. Get on the HCCA forum and ask the steam guys what they use. Hope this helps.

Yes I have already steam cylinder oil, it is what I use in my steeing box as that is a close modern substitution to what was originally used. Thanks for info on the other

The aft fitting on the DA waterpump should be lubricated with waterpump grease and the rear fitting should be a plain zerk fitting (no check valve) with a threaded cover. Waterpump grease is a very specific type of grease and chassis grease will not work properly. Chassis grease will eventually wind up in the radiator and plug the tubes. The front fitting on the waterpump is just for the shaft bearing and chassis grease can be used in that fitting with no problem.

Model A Fords have the same basic waterpump setup and waterpump grease is available from the vendors who sell Model A Ford parts. Macs, Snyders, or Mike's Afforable are good sources for the proper grease. Also you can get the proper rear grease fitting from the same sources.

Alan

The aft fitting on the DA waterpump should be lubricated with waterpump grease and the rear fitting should be a plain zerk fitting (no check valve) with a threaded cover. Waterpump grease is a very specific type of grease and chassis grease will not work properly. Chassis grease will eventually wind up in the radiator and plug the tubes. The front fitting on the waterpump is just for the shaft bearing and chassis grease can be used in that fitting with no problem.

Model A Fords have the same basic waterpump setup and waterpump grease is available from the vendors who sell Model A Ford parts. Macs, Snyders, or Mike's Afforable are good sources for the proper grease. Also you can get the proper rear grease fitting from the same sources.

Alan