Shifter tape replacement

Tacoma

I am replacing the shifter vinyl on my 1990 Reatta. I have the instructions posted by Mark W (Posting# 448985) but cannot find the basic console removel instructions he refers to (Posting # 391258. Doing a search brings up a blank. Does anyone have instructions on removing the armrest and basic console. Thanks

Sorry, As I was trying to add this post it kept giving me an error message that I hadn't filled in all the blocke and as I hit the back button I couldn find out what I was missing. Never had this problem with the old format

YUP! I get the same darned message back...really "aggrafretting"....

On the instructions for the R & I ....the young man that did the tutoral so well was CL Reatta. I am not sure how he wrote his forum "handle", but perform a name search under different varitions of CLREATTA and you should come up with his threads.....in fact, I think he has just returned...check the posts in the last few days to a week for that name....hope this helps.

Nic

I would like to replace my shift tape also. And I need to clean the film for the poopoo indicator.

I have all the top trim pieces out. How does the shift indicator block come apart? I can not find any notes on this in the Buick shop manual.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to replace my shift tape also. And I need to clean the film for the <span style="text-decoration: underline">poopoo</span> indicator.</div></div>

You might need to call Roto-Rooter for help on this one. laugh.gif

Sorry that I can't be of assistance on taking the block apart.

Do a name search for :

"Mark Kuklok" for an absolutely fantastic tutoral on the restoration of the shifter assembly.

"CL Reatta" for an exceptional tutoral on the removal and installation of the shifter assembly.

Good luck smile.gif

TDMan,

Thanks for the help...can you also see if you can do the same for the folks by pulling up the "CL Reatta" tutoral on the R & I of the shifter mechanism...really good tutoral (I am not that savvy with computers and/or especially the search function on this forum). Thanks, Nic

No luck finding the tutorial on the shifter mechanism. I did find this:

Shifter tape tutorial #2

The search engine on this forum is very clumsy. Each time you search you must make sure you have the correct forum selected in the box on the left, enter your keyword and then set the Date Range to: New Than 5 Years to get good results.

Glad to help.

Thanks TDman smile.gif...appreciated.

1st tutoral is on 88-89 models, and 2nd tutoral is on 90-91 mosels.

I just tried to find the Remove and Install Tutoral and can't get anywhere....I find the darn search funchtion impossible at times darnit.

This tutoral was created by CL Reatta....can someone try "CL Reatta" (name search) please?

I searched again with no luck.

His user name is actually CL_Reatta (note the underscore) To see all his posts by searching, leave the keyword blank, enter CL_Reatta in the "Display Name Search" box and set the time to 5 years as described above.

Thanks TDman the "_" worked....HOWEVER only went back 8 pages frown.gif...I wrote CL_ Reatta a PM...hopefully he will answer. The removal of the console is a little tricky if I remember correctly and it would be nice to have this tutoral.

Thanks CL!

I removed every thing and cleaned out the shifter box and re-painted some parts. Also, shampooed and cleaned the console. But, I am going to need a new shift indicator plate for the shifter box. The owner before me had spilled some kind of a drink (cola?) on the console and it leaked into the box. Ever thing cleaned up well except that the some of the lettering on the indicator plate came off.

Thanks again,

Nick

Nick,

You can rebuild the box and Mark Kuklok is responsible for the grand tutoral on the topic....try to find it on the forum (he has two...one for 88-89 and one for 90-91 models .

If damaged beyond repair, Jim Finn may still have some used ones available... jfinn@cpinternet.com

I will be attempting all of this soon as well....