HEMMINGS ARTICLE 65 GS

Mr Riviera

Dick,

I read the entire article and found it to be informative and well written. There's only one piece of faux information in it that was totally off base. Mike at TA performace is quoted as saying "TA Performance offers a billet rear-end cover, which lightens the load and aids in cooling." He was apparently thinking the Riv shared a rear end with the "A" bodied cars.

Great pictures of your car and the article presents the 65 GS as a desirable car for any collector wanting a luxurious muscle car. Congratulations.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys...more than one mistake here...Buick did not produce a "GS" version of the Wildcat model in `65. The ONLY year the GS option was offered on the Wildcat was `66. Buick did, however, feature the Wildcat in the more expensive version of their `65 "Sizzlers" catalogue along with the `65 Riviera GS and Skylark GS models.

425 valve timing was not necessarily more conservative depending on the year and application. This gets complicated but suffice to note the 425 valve timing was toned down for the `66 models except for the Super Wildcat 425.

The GS Riv was available with many axle ratios including two which were suggested as appropriate for the Riv GS in the Buick Sizzlers catalogue. This is a Riviers GS specific listing direct from Buick. Buick suggested a 3:23 or 3:58 ratios as "special order axle ratios". The article is correct in stating the 3:42 ratio was standard. I have only owned one `65 GS with a ratio other than the 3:42, it was a 3:23 which I believe to be factory installed.

Both the first and second edition GS emblems were not installed on the trunk lid but were installed on the rear body panel.

The Riviera driveline is loaded with those CV joints the article states it doesn`t have. The `64 and `65 models have one more than the `63 edition.

Otherwise, a better than most article and they did get some things right that most articles dont...the relay addition on the clamshell headlights, the H-2 handling package....nice car Dick!

Tom Mooney ROA#56

What happens when an Editor does an article on your model car, he/she takes your information and mixes it with other input from other folks and he/she comes to their own conclusions.Its kind of like alphabet soup. The down side is some info is incorrect - on the plus side it promotes the model. Much of the info in the article came from me but some came from others. Needless to say , everything I said was correct ! LOL . Hope you enjoyed the article and the promotion of the Riv. !