1940 master deluxe for sale

TheRez

Guest BillP

I really am weary of this type of response. Maybe I would be more at peace if someone of substance would answer a few questions:

Did the seller refer to the item as a "Full Classic"?

Is it against rules of this forum to post items for sale that are not "Full Classic"?

Is it conceivable that owners of "Full Classics" can have an interest in and actually contemplate the purchase of an item other than a "Full Classic"?

Further, is it conceivable that the owner of this item is a member of this club and knows well the so-called status of his item for sale?

By blubbering on with this inside joke to a presumably innocent visitor is it conceivable that future members may find this an unwelcome place?

Other than self-congratulation, what's the purpose of re-visiting this topic every time a non-"Full Classic" topic is raised?

Moderators ban me at your pleasure as I may have crossed the narrow boundary of reserve and propriety to ask these questions.

I want to apologize to Bill P and the fellow with the old used Chevrolet for sale - and to prove my sincerity I have followed West's "lead" and deleted my own smart-alec "post".

Bill is absolutely right - there is NO excuse these days for questioning the posting for sale of used cars in here. Gariepy should "go with the flow" these days...should not be posting these silly rules about restricting what can be advertised in AACA forums, making such hurtful comments as "CCCA ELIGIBILTY RULES APPLY" . After all - the whole objective of screeching the word "classic" at things one is trying to sell, HAS taken over, so who cares about silly rules, or the silly opening "caption" of this forum "PLEASE LIMIT POSTS IN THIS FORUM TO DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE CCCA AND CARS RECOGNIZED BY THE CLUB AS A CCCA CLASSIC...

After all, even the CCCA itself is changing with the times - it has encouraged all kinds of people to join, so that the two thousand or so traditionalist's views have long since been buried by a bold new membership (we jumped to close to six thousand this year) that LOVES all old used cars, (especially those they are trying to sell)...and cant wait to bring more of them into our Club. Page 9 of the Club's Rule Book (HANDBOOK AND DIRECTORY) makes it clear how correct Bill P's point is - there, under the banner "SIGNIFICANT CLUB POLICY STATEMENTS 1956-2003" is "over-printed" MAY CONFLICT WITH CURRENT POLICIES

West, myself, and others have come to our senses - we will no longer make smart alec "posts" about people who ignore those silly old rules.

Just think, next year my used 1980's Toyota will be an "antique" and who is to say when I want to sell my Case farm tractor, I shouldn't advertise it in here...? I mean..it IS a "classic"..isn't it...?

Guest bkazmer

West has a Classic and has been generous in helping me with information to help my restoration - I was chiding him on his "big C" use because he knows what it means. Lighten up. That said, I even find myself (gasp) agreeing with PH that maybe there should be some meaning conveyed in language.

oh oh....when people start agreeing with me...i start worrying about their mental health....!

Seriously, folks, yes, it is kind of funny to watch people screeching the word "classic" at whatever they are trying to sell - my favorite example - not that long ago I pulled off the highway into a little shopping mall..parked next to a Caprice Classic, went in and had some "Classic Chicken" - washed down with "Clasic Coke". In the shopping center were two unrelated businesses - Classic Plumbing...and Classic Upholstery.

I dont think many of you young people can imagine the mixed emotions some of us "traditionalists" in the CCCA have, when we see the word "classic" in common useage, used to sell all manner of stuff.

here's why - the whole concept of "nolstalgia" towards old cars, especially the big old super powerful super luxury cars of the late 1920's thru 1942, was simply unknown until, oh..I'd say the late 1950's.

Old cars in general were made fun of, and really big elegant luxury cars from the above era, were HATED for what they represented. The idea of saving the biggest, most elegant, and most powerful cars of that era was considered nuts by the general public. In those days, car dealers would have "smash in's". They would go find some really elegant car like, well..in one case...a beautiful early 1930's Cadillac V-16, park it on their lot, and let people whack at it with a sledge hammer in an effort to draw floor traffic into the dealership. How many of you have seen old re-runs of I LOVE LUCY, where, in several of the 30 min. shows, "LUCY" shows how silly and stupid she is by getting involved in some way with a big luxury car of the 1930's.

At some point in time, a small group of nut-cases like me, were successful in convincing the public that maybe there was something worth while in the 'best of the best' of the cars of that era, and thus we became socially acceptable.

I recall the shock and puzzlement, when I took a girl on a date in my '38 Packard V-12 Formal Sedan (because I was desparate to "date" that girl that night...and a deal I had to borrow an acceptable car - later model Chevrolet, fell thru). Pulled into the side entrance of the restaurant parking lot so the girl wouldnt be embarssed to be seen getting out of such an out-dated monstrosity - to my surprise (this was about 1958, when the idea of saving big luxury cars was starting to catch on.....) the restaurant manager invited me to park out FRONT where people could SEE my car....!

So - those few of us "traditionalists" actually do get a kick out of seeing how the word "classic" has gone from something rarely seen or thought of, actually even despised, to something commendable...within our life-times.

Do we have mixed emotions about it ? Sure ! Did the fellow who wants to get rid of his old used Chevrolet mean any harm by advertising it in a site CLEARLY labled for "classics only"...? OF COURSE NOT !

Should we all have a bit more of a sense of humor about being teased about our respective choices and opinions..? I WISH!

6686 humorous & entertaining as usual. A quick comment, though - maybe a novice gets a "pass" but really, is it that unreasonable to have simple rules asking members to place items in the right category? What I mean is, it is actually helpful to the seller redirect these ads to the right place. I suspect most of us visit more than one section daily - especially in the winter. Most of us probably like more than one class of car. How many of us read magazines like HMN cover to cover each month, but would be a bit frustrated if there was no order. Remember the good old days when the cars were in sections, but not as well organized as today? That was more fun, to tell the truth! But, I can't blame the Classic crowd for looking to maintain some order here..

May I tease you a bit about your above "post"..?

I think you ARE being unreasonable to expect young people of today to understand the concept of "rules" and "precision of speech". You sound like someone who has a few years on him - meaning, you, like me, may be a product of the educational system of an earlier America. To get out of high school, you may have had a year of both CHEMISTRY and PHYSICS, and were taught the importance of using the English language correctly. The reason that was the case, was because in prior eras, the United States was a technological leader, manufacturing precision products to be sold all over the planet. Quality was important to maintaining the American economy of that era, and was essential to getting a job in the jobs in America in that era.

You could leave your high school, and, as I did, get a well-paying job in an industry making widgets, or, perhaps fixing them.

All you need to do, to understand where today's young people are coming from, is walk into a shopping mall or major department store, and LOOK around and LISTEN to them. All the familiar names are still there ( Westinghouse, General Electric, Sunbeam, etc). But they are not American. They are IMPORTED. From countries where "precision of speech" is important.

The young American person of today has no need of "precision of speech". What he or she needs to know these days is " DO YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT"...?

His or her job is to "be in touch with their inner self", to be the "me me" generation and have nice emotions, just like in any other third world country that isnt going anywhere except downhill. So he or she has no embarrsement, when he gets that job he is qualified for, calling himself a "professional sanitation engineer"...!

The high quality cars and technical products now come from overseas. Look in Consumer Reports, to find American cars consistantly finish LAST in quality reviews. RCA used to make the WHIRLPOOL clothes washers and dryers. Look NOW on the back of the label and see where they are made....!

So - let's show some understanding - a young person of today, who fnds they are stuck with some elder's old Chevrolet or DeSoto or whatever, knows what they want...TO GET RID OF IT! They have NO idea what the difference is...say...between a 1940 Chevrolet, and a REAL classic car such as a 1940 Cadillac V-16 Imperial limosine or perhaps a 1940 Packard "180", NOR IS THERE ANY REASON FOR THEM TO !

Bottom line = I expect to see more and more of the younger generation talk about, write about, and try to sell just about ANYTHING where-ever they think they can find a buyer. They mean no harm. They are just "passing thru".

GO to a car show where there are also REAL classic cars, and WATCH what the average young person does. I have, and have the video to prove it. THEY WALK RIGHT BY TO THE CUSTOM/HOT ROD displays, oh..a few will look, for a moment, at stock cars from the 50's and 60's.. "LIKE GRANDMA HAD...!".

My suggestion - forget about trying to force out-dated thinking on a changed America. Oh, there will always be a few odd-balls of EVERY generation who will see the value in, and want to understand more about the "engineering marvels, magnificently overdone" that we old-timers call "CLASSICS". They DO exist, and they DO find us, and when they turn up, let's try and woo them.

But as for the rest... I say..."live and let live"...!

Good points, 6686! Yes, at 43 I have to say I feel like I am on the "other side now" when relating to these younger guys. I am still hoping the restoration bug bites my 17 year old, but for now, it is sports and college, which I can understand. We have done what we can to give him a traditional or "old school" upbringing (so he does not dispense french fries for a living!) He goes to a couple shows per year with me. Like many of these kids, the racy stuff draws his attention, but he appreciates the old "A" for what it is, which is a good start. Funny I can remember going with my father to endless shows at that age, couldn't get enough - times change and I guess people all have different interests.

I do have to comment on your concerns though, for the future. If your predictions about these cars coming onto the market in a few years holds I hope to grab one for myself. I must not be alone in that thought - I think there will be a market for Classics and, possibly some bargains as those who inherit decide to sell, etc. Hey, some of you guys lived through the "golden age" of collecting these cars - roughly early 50s to early 70s - and may have been lucky enough to acquire a one owner original out of a local home, etc. I can remember some very interesting cars coming out of garages in the town I grew up in, including one Packard dual cowl Phaeton found by a friend of my dads around '77 or so. It would be close, in my opinion, to that kind of thrill to eventually buy one of these fine cars from someone who had owned it for a long time and been a good caretaker ready to pass on that responsibility. I would not even have to "steal it" to feel good. (My "A" came from an owner of close to 30 years, a lot of good vibes there..)

As for the guy selling the Chevy you know your right, at least he is not cutting it up and painting it neon green with purple trim...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6686 humorous & entertaining as usual. A quick comment, though - maybe a novice gets a "pass" but really, is it that unreasonable to have simple rules asking members to place items in the right category? What I mean is, it is actually helpful to the seller redirect these ads to the right place. I suspect most of us visit more than one section daily - especially in the winter. Most of us probably like more than one class of car. How many of us read magazines like HMN cover to cover each month, but would be a bit frustrated if there was no order. Remember the good old days when the cars were in sections, but not as well organized as today? That was more fun, to tell the truth! But, I can't blame the Classic crowd for looking to maintain some order here.. </div></div>

I agree. There is an appropriate forum for everything and without some sense of order you would have people "spamming" the forums.