serpentine belt (when to replace)

charlie1

I thought I read somewhere that it is not necessary to replace a belt just because it has a few cracks in it ?

I think it said it was only necessary to replace a belt if it has pieces missing in the groove area.

Any advise appreciated. Do not want to waste $30.00

Thanks

Charlie

Guest F14CRAZY

As far as I know, you have to remove the strut thing with the useless mini shock absorber. Or at least it makes it a lot easier. When you have a lot of cracks, go ahead and replace it then.

Guest kennyw

since the serpentine belt is easy to replace why wait for it to break and leave you on the road. I replace my belts at aprox 80,000 miles. If you run the motor at high revs you might want to replace it eariler. Then I take the old belt, put it in the new wrapper and keep it as a spare. My reason is to do the replacement when you choose and not when the belt does it for you. Ken

When I changed the water pump on my wife's Riv I decided to do the right thing and change the belt while I was at it since it was probably 15 years old.

Well the new belt didn't last a year. It shredded and tore up the sound liner on the hood and wrapped around the power steering pump shaft and took out the front seal. About a month later the alternator went. I put an old belt back on.