'52 Special Radiator Question

Stan W.

It takes about two minutes to remove the hood on a '52 Buick, assuming you have a helper for the other side. It will take much, much longer than that to try to remove the radiator without removing the hood. You will have to remove the fan belt, the fan, and maybe even the fresh air ducts and valve cover in order to tilt the radiator enough to go under the sideways opening hood, to say nothing of ducking under the front of the opened hood yourself. I don't even know if the radiator, tilted sideways, will even clear the hood that is not removed from the car.

I am able to remove mine myself, usually. I have several furniture pads left from my time in the trenches. Raise the hood and place a pad over the fender , stretching into the engine compartment. Another over the radiator with excess on the ground. Lower hood and carefully raise the other side , placing a pad here. Lower hood. Carefully slide hood forward , lowering the nose until it is on the ground, atop the pad. Pick it up and carry it away.  Of course, the buddy way is easier.

Ben

• Like 2