1926 Studebaker oil line?

Frank Wilkie

I have a light 6 Studebaker 1926.   When I got it I noticed that the oil line from the pressure side was closed shut from the T. One side of the T goes to the gauge and the closed off went to the oil filter.  The other side of the oil filter is connected to the engine but a shut off valve was shut off on the filter.  Are the engine bearings being oiled just by the splash system or do I need to reopen the line to the filter.?    

The oil filter was just a bypass filter (it only filtered a portion of the oil).  The engine is getting its normal amount of lubrication.  I saw but don't remember how many minuets it took a bypass filter to have filtered all the oil.  I suspect the idea of a by pass system was that the engine would be lubricated whether the driver changed the filter or not.  Today the filters are of a better or at least more consistent quality so that the odds of a filter getting plugged and causing loss of lubrication are very small.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, Frank Wilkie said:

thanks again guys...  I'm enjoying my Stude..   The only previous Studebaker I had was when I was a young man.  It was a 1913..  We drove it everywhere, but not fast. The picture has my son in the car.

scan0001.jpg

Looks close to the one I saw in Bellingham in 2010:  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?32472-2010-Can-Am-Zone-Meet-(Bellingham-WA)/page2

Craig

Yes it looks the same..  I know for a fact when I sold it for my dad it went to South Bend Indiana..  Years later I stopped by his place to see the car and he still had it, but he wouldn't let me see it.. He said it was down in the barn and he said someone over the years had stolen the mag off of it and some other things..  I don't know at this time if he still has it or it's moved on. The South Bend Studebaker club should know more about it..