Please help identify this valve

BadAppleRides

Good Afternoon:

I have recently acquired 1959 Edsel Ranger 2 door sedan (never had this car before), which is pretty stock with Economy 6 cylinder engine - also all stock. When I started the car the other day, I noticed a slight coolant leak/drip from the top of the valve, which I assume is manual heater control valve (or not) but I am not sure. (Photo is below/ attached below). I do not believe this is a drain valve is one of the heater hoses is directly connect to the valve itself.

Does anyone know if this is, in fact, heater control/shut off valve  and  what would be an easy fix except obviously changing the entire valve and hose (the hose is in decent shape). I have tried to hand tighten/loosen the valve, and, boy, this thing will not move. I sprayed some WD40, and the thing will not budge. Before, I start screwing around with this, I wanted to check on the forum and get any advise from people who know what they are doing :eek:)!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you.

Martin

IMG_7923.jpg

Simple replacement and make sure that you turn the new one off and on at least twice a year.  Also make sure that you use antifreeze or at least a rust inhibitor in your coolant.

1959 Fords & Edsels did not use any water valve to control the temperature of the output on the heater. The 'Hot - Cold" lever moved a door that blended air through the heater core. This meant that during the summer hot water was circulating through the core at all times. Any air that bypassed the blend door would put hot air into the passenger compartment.  

Instructions in the owners and shop manual suggested turning this valve closed during the summer. However few  people did, so they routinely stick in the open position. The suggestion above that they need to be opened and closed regularly is accurate. 

Aside from leaks, you can leave it open all year long.

Or replace it with a straight nipple to connect the hose in a leak free manner. 

Original style valves that can be opened and closed manually still readily exist and can be found at a good parts house. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

It may be necessary to take the valve off, take it apart and clean it and replace seals. That is if you care enough about originality.

There is another type of valve that does the same thing but can be controlled from inside the car. It is not expensive, it was used on millions of Chrysler products in the seventies and eighties. It has a cable on it that you could connect to a choke knob or other control on the dash.

Summit has them for $10.99 they call it a four seasons heater valve 74827. There are other models to choose from.

image.png.2e61aae844e645bc6e57ab74c49bacb1.png